Are the GPOS and GSUB tables deleted

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Ariel

Are the GPOS and GSUB tables deleted

Post by Ariel »

Hi there,

First post on this forum, so I hope that I'm posting in the right place.

I haven't actually bought the FontCreator yet, but I'm a book designer, and I have a customer who wants me to alter an accent in a glyph in a Hebrew font, so I'm considering buying it.

I downloaded the demo and was able to move the accent easily. But since it was the demo, I couldn't save the font.

Because this is a Hebrew font that supports diacritic marks, it makes heavy use of the GPOS and GSUB tables, which FontCreator does not support.

I do not actually need to change those tables -- just leave them as is.

So my question is: If I make my change to the glyph shape, and then save the font as a new font, will FontCreator strip out all GPOS and GSUB table information, or will it leave it in untouched?

Many thanks,
Ariel
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Are the GPOS and GSUB tables deleted

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Here is a screen shot of the unsupported tables in an OpenType *.otf font. As you can see, the GSUB tables are still present. Since you're only modifying an accent I don't envisage there will be any problems.

Check in Tools, Options, Font, that FontCreator is not set to strip any tables on loading, and if the font has an *.otf extension, add that manually while saving.

If you add glyphs to the font, or sort it, this would break the Glyph Substitutions.
Attachments
Unsupported Tables.png
Unsupported Tables.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Thanks very much for your answer.

Is support for GPOS and GSUB something that has been mentioned for an upcoming version?

Ariel
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Ariel wrote:Thanks very much for your answer.

Is support for GPOS and GSUB something that has been mentioned for an upcoming version?

Ariel
Yes, there have been requests for OpenType tables (see the Requests and Enhancements forum), and as of last year, it was anticipated as possibly - let me reiterate, it was only mentioned as a possibility - that it would be included in version 7. Whether that timeline has been retained is unknown.
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Okay, thank you very much!

Ariel