newby - initial sizing

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
GISdude

newby - initial sizing

Post by GISdude »

Hi all,
First time poster. I just started getting into Fontcreator (home) and was messing around with my initial fonts. I'm trying to develop some signs (ie, stop, yield, highway,) and it occured to me, I don't know how big to make my characters. I've got several gifs that are literraly 100 pix wide and tall. When I brought them into FC, I don't know how big or small they will be when I'm using them in my other apps/prgrams.

Any tips/ideas on this?

Thanks,
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: newby - initial sizing

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Fonts are scalable vectors — the size is set in the application that uses them.

Your design should fit entirely within WinAscent and WinDescent.

The symbols in my own fonts align with the baseline and top of capitals so that they work well with text. Symbol fonts without text don't have to follow the same rule.

100 pix will do, but is a bit small for importing fine details — 500 pix would be better. Scan at a higher resolution, or export from a drawing application as AI or PDF, and import those into FontCreator.

See this thread (among others) for a discussion of font size.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
GISdude

Re: newby - initial sizing

Post by GISdude »

Thx Bhikku,
I am an AUTOCAD tech/GIS tech by training and I'm running into making up my own fonts/symbols.

Anyways, I apprectiate the help,