change how fonts look when bold

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
ralfs_k

change how fonts look when bold

Post by ralfs_k »

Hi. I'm new to font editing. I'm forced to edit font file so that bold will look different!
so the questions are:
- is it possible to specify how will bold look for individual characters?
or if this is not possible how to disable bold so that none of characters can be made bold?
Erwin Denissen

Re: change how fonts look when bold

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ralfs_k wrote:Hi. I'm new to font editing. I'm forced to edit font file so that bold will look different!
so the questions are:
- is it possible to specify how will bold look for individual characters?
or if this is not possible how to disable bold so that none of characters can be made bold?
Sure. Within FontCreator open the bold style of your font family, and make the required adjustments. If the font is already installed on your system, the select Open -> Installed Font from the file menu.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ralfs_k

Post by ralfs_k »

hmmm It seems i'm doing something wrong... I have font installed and font file on desktop so...
open Installed fonts it shows font family name VUZZB font style Regular file name vuzzb.ttf and no bold style font with same name and opening ttf file from desktop is the same
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What Windows normally does if the user applies bold to some text, is to switch automatically to the bold typestyle. If none exists, it will automatically synthesise a faux bold version by increasing the weight of the regular type style.

The only way to prevent this would be to edit the regular font in FontCreator, to change the font attributes to make a bold style, without actually editing any glyphs, and save it as a new TTF. This will fool Windows, and it will use your bold font style, which is actually exactly the same weight as the regular style.

Font Type
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486