otf to a ttf

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
RANDY

otf to a ttf

Post by RANDY »

greetings how can i change a open type font to a true type font? i have the new FC7 professional. i have a old version of corel draw that only recognize true type fonts. i tried all the save features,export features under the file command but can't get it to work.it only saves in open type format. Am i missing something? thanks
vanisaac

Re: otf to a ttf

Post by vanisaac »

If they have true type outlines (ie, they open in FCP), all Open type fonts are true type fonts. Just change the extension from OTF to TTF.
RANDY

Post by RANDY »

thank you , i'm very green here,how do i do this? in FC 6.5 i could open a otf in the overview window, click save and FC6.5 would save it as a ttf. what do i do now?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. Open the TTF in FC7 and save it as a project file *.fcp
  2. Edit the export options for the project from the file menu
  3. Select a suitable path and filename for your exported font (probably not a good idea to overwrite the original TTF, though you can if you wish).
  4. Select the other options, e.g. include hinting etc.
  5. Export your font as TTF/OTF
FC7 Font Export Options.png
FC7 Font Export Options.png (20.18 KiB) Viewed 8437 times
In my case, I am currently using the TTF extension to avoid overwriting my OTF font while its still installed, while I develop the new version. Later, I will change the extension to OTF.

Modern Windows apps don't care about the extension, but maybe older versions of CorelDraw do. If you save your fonts with a TTF extension, even if you include OpenType features, I suspect that CorelDraw will recognise it OK.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

RANDY wrote:greetings how can i change a open type font to a true type font? i have the new FC7 professional. i have a old version of corel draw that only recognize true type fonts.
That must be a very, very old version :D

TrueType has been superseded by the OpenType format. However people still refer to TrueType fonts, while in fact 99.9% of all fonts that come with Windows are OpenType fonts.

See also:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1619
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology