Contour direction of colour glyphs

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Contour direction of colour glyphs

Post by William »

Suppose please that there is a monochrome glyph of a zero, with an outer clockwise contour and an inner counterclockwise contour.

Suppose that one wishes to produce a colour glyph, of a red zero filled with yellow.

Regarding the direction of the yellow-filled contour: should it be clockwise or counterclockwise or does the direction not matter?

William Overington

12 November 2013
Erwin Denissen

Re: Contour direction of colour glyphs

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Good question!

The direction does not matter for color glyphs (same goes for composite glyphs) as long as the source/member glyphs have it all set correctly.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you for replying.

So that means that to make the zero in colour, (by making two copies of the monochrome glyph and deleting a contour from each copy before colourizing each glyph) that I need to change the direction of the remaining contour of one glyph.

This is just a simple example to discuss the issue: the issue arose when I was making a seven-colour design starting from a monochrome line drawing.

I have now tried a test font and used Font Validate... to put it all correct.

William Overington

12 November 2013
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

William wrote:So that means that to make the zero in colour, (by making two copies of the monochrome glyph and deleting a contour from each copy before colourizing each glyph) that I need to change the direction of the remaining contour of one glyph.
We recommend all simple glyphs have correct contour directions, so if you remove the outer contour, you should adjust the direction of the inner contour.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you.

William