Combinations of keys

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
font_noob

Combinations of keys

Post by font_noob »

HELLO

I'm making a new font i started it from empty glyphs, is for a foreign language with too many characters, and i need combinations of keys to call them all...
how can i set the combination of keys to call each character?

For example, the key ''A'' calls the ''A'' character, i want the key ''A'' and the shift button pressed to call another similar character... (the A with a symbol over it) how can i do that?

THANKS
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Combinations of keys

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Actually, the a key types the "a" character and shift a types the "A" character.

To see what each key combination types, open the Preview Toolbar (F8) and type. Any character defined in your font will be displayed in the Preview Toolbar as you type. If you have not create a glyph for that letter yet, you will just get a blank space.
Preview Toolbar.png
Preview Toolbar.png (33.15 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
If your foreign language needs accents such as ÁÉÍÓÚ then these are usually typed by enabling the Windows International Keyboard and typing a dead key before the alphabet to get an accented character; e.g. for à one types first ` then a, for ñ one types ~ then n, etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
font_noob

Post by font_noob »

the example with the shift was bad story... the combination is for the capital letters...
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: If your foreign language needs accents such as ÁÉÍÓÚ then these are usually typed by enabling the Windows International Keyboard and typing a dead key before the alphabet to get an accented character; e.g. for à one types first ` then a, for ñ one types ~ then n, etc.
yes this is what im looking for, how can i set other symbols for those combinations?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

font_noob wrote:How can i set other symbols for those combinations?
Have you registered the software yet?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
font_noob

Post by font_noob »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
font_noob wrote:How can i set other symbols for those combinations?
Have you registered the software yet?
NO, i use a trial version to see if i can do what i want with this software or the font studio, of something else, don't worry i pay when i do my job, but not without. yet, when i try to test a font with the fontcreator in windows 8.1 the program stuck...must be a compatibility issue... and still i haven't do what i wanted.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Trial version won't create fonts including accented characters — it just outputs a subset of characters.

See the FAQ at the top of the support forum.

Obviously, there is no problem with producing fonts with accents. FontCreator is also compatible with Windows 8

How you type the characters that you need to use is not the job of FontCreator. I use a customised Windows keyboard to type all manner of accents required for Pāli: ā ī ū ḍ ṭ ḷ ṃ ṅ ñ ś etc., but you need the registered version to produce fonts with characters in the Latin Extended character sets.

The Professional Edition makes the creation of accented glyphs semi-automatic using the Complete Composites feature.
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

Microsoft offers a free utility called Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. Use it to create a new keyboard from scratch or modify an existing keyboard. It is a very straightforward utility.
timza

Post by timza »

The answer is no. You do not define inside the font what the keyboard key presses are to obtain the characters inside the font.

You need to find a table like shown at the below linked webpage to determine in your software, with your keyboard, the key strokes required to obtain the characters you want that are outside the characters normally on the keyboard.

http://www.jarte.com/help_new/accent_ma ... cters.html

Then, you need to find a table like shown at the below linked webpage to determine the Unicode names and codes for the characters you want to define, and then insert and define those characters in FontCreator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

And of course, you may want to search for a font that already has the characters you want to use. Then, you simply need to know the keyboard key presses for the software, operating system, and keyboard you are using.

Tim.