Grid Snap and Knife Tool

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
DYSEQTA

Grid Snap and Knife Tool

Post by DYSEQTA »

Is there any particular reason why the knife tool ignores grid snap? It's really frustrating :(
MikeW

Re: Grid Snap and Knife Tool

Post by MikeW »

I think the solution isn't to make the knife tool snap...unless it will snap right one a grid line if one is close enough when when one clicks and holds, and then remains on the grid or when one clicks close enough hits the grid it is closest to. It's a freehand type of tool and personally, I would have it turned off if it were an option. If I zoom in close enough, I can start/stop on a grid line.

If one could draw a line and use that line for slicing a character like in AI or any other drawing application, it would be easy enough to move it onto a grid line. Then slice. I would be for that.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MikeW wrote:If one could draw a line and use that line for slicing a character like in AI or any other drawing application, it would be easy enough to move it onto a grid line. Then slice. I would be for that.
You can pretty much do that by drawing a rectangular contour snapped to the grid, and then use "Get Exclusion of Contours."

Holding down the shift key is a useful tip for cutting horizontal and vertical lines.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

One can get a pretty thin line that way, just not "zero" width.

Mike