Wonderful

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
MikeW

Wonderful

Post by MikeW »

Just wanted to post a note saying thank you to Erwin & Crew for FC9. Upgraded yesterday and made use of the new OT feature window most of the day. Great improvements throughout the application.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Wonderful

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have found that the many improvements have made me more productive. I updated three fonts (14 typestyles) yesterday as I noted in this thread. I made a short video (which is available on my review page) about the new features. Let me know if I missed anything important.

I particularly like the navigation around the font or OpenType lookups by clicking on the Preview Toolbar/Panel — that saves so much scrolling and searching.
Glyph Navigation.png
Glyph Navigation.png (31.82 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
In the latest update issued since the initial release, Erwin added a shortcut (Ctrl H) to show/hide glyph fills, and Ctrl F10 to launch MainType.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MarkLyon

Post by MarkLyon »

Sound very good, I hope it will encourage readers to try out the feature.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thank you.

I hear more and more positive feedback from the typography community, and several people have already switched from other font editors. Also several people who use several tools for different steps in their font design process, have decided to use FontCreator for adding and proofing OpenType layout features in their fonts. So FontCreator is truly the font editor for everyone!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin,

This is by far the most useful font editor that I have ever used--and I have used just about everything. But this latest version is simply wonderful for the time-saving of the OT feature editor. I have spent a lot of time with drawing for others, more than the scripting part of it. But beginning with version 8 I have done as much or more in the scripting and kerning aspects. Version 9 takes it so much further/easier than 8 did. Y'all really did do a great job.

Want to know one of my favorite things in ver. 9? When defining kerning pairs, I often use various text strings in the OpenType Designer's input field at the bottom of the window. Clicking on a letter jumps to that pair if it exists. If it doesn't, one can quickly add the pair, of course. This feature saves me a lot of time when testing kerning.