FCP4 is a lemon

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Mottel

FCP4 is a lemon

Post by Mottel »

FCP4 looks great "on paper" (I've been reading the pdf manual, and I was very keen to try it out), but after installing it, it looks like it's a lemon. Even after re-installing it and rebooting, it crashes my system every time I try to use it. I can't get any further than the opening screen. If I try to load a font (sometimes even without trying that - after just reading the opening tip and closing the program down), my system hangs so thoroughly that I can't even use Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I have to hit the power reset button, and go through the Scandisk check upon rebooting.
I am using Windows98 SE on a Pentium II.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi Mottel --

Sorry I can't help you with this problem. I have never had FCP hang or refuse to work.

In fact, I even have no conception of a slow FCP. In my time with Font Creator "slow" has never happened except when I try to edit glyphs with several thousand points. It's may be slow but it's solid.

I have upgraded the software versions several times on different hardware (not a PII however and not with less than 256mb memory) and found it exceptionally stable and fast.

I've run FCP on a P4 under Win ME very nicely as have others. I am currently running Win XP on a P4.

Without knowing exactly what you are running, it would sound like a memory problem -- not enough. Of course it could also be the PII. Or it could be the number of tasks underway.

It's not the software however.

Dick Pape
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You are the first that has ever mentioned such problems with the software. Maybe the download is corrupted, or you have a virus running on your computer?

Did you try the latest release from the Announcements Forum?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pwillard

Quite odd

Post by pwillard »

I use FCP 4 hours-on-end without so much as a burp.

I would hardly call it a lemon... it works as advertised.

Pete
Pete
artifax

HPC runs perfectly for me on an HP using Windows 98... NOW.

Post by artifax »

HPC runs perfectly for me on an HP using Windows 98... NOW.
It didn't at first... though... it locked me up too... or rather... I think that I locked it up.

As with learning any new program... and for me... working on a PC... I got frustrated... and did something wrong... usually when improperly trying to install the Font... you need to save it first on the desktop... then install it.

It isn't as forgiving a program as the professional programs I run on my Macintoshes... but then they cost me anywhere from $500.00 to $1,000.00 for a "user's license"...

So I'd suggest downloading it again... using DAP... without your virus... spyware and/or adware programs running...

THEN SLOW DOWN... TAKE YOUR TIME and ENJOY A GREAT DEAL AND FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR A GREAT PROGRAM !!

This message is being sent to you from a 99.9% Macintosh user... so if I like using the program enough to use my PC... it is quite a compliment to it !!