Altering a TTF

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Michael Love

Altering a TTF

Post by Michael Love »

Hi,

I am completely new to this forum and altering different types of files so please excuse my ignorance.

I recently bought a computerised engraving machine and was trying to match up a few fonts I wanted to use. But unfortunately I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. However I did mange to find one very close that would take only a few tweaks to be almost the same. Now that all said I don't have any experience editing fonts, so I think I am asking literally how difficult do you think it would be?

The fonts are not colour obviously and the main structure is there, but I would have to go through upper and lower case. The machine is a Gravograph M20 J and the fonts are of course TTF.

Any thoughts and advice would be very gratefully received.

Regards

Mike
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Altering a TTF

Post by Alfred »

Michael Love wrote:I recently bought an computerised engraving machine and was trying to match up a few fonts I wanted to use. But unfortunately I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. How every I did mange to find on very close that would take only a few tweak's to be almost the same. Now that all said I don't have any experience editing fonts, so I think am asking literally how difficult do you think it would be?
How long is a piece of string, Mike? It all depends on the nature and extent of the changes that you want to make, and perhaps (depending on what those changes are) which version of FontCreator you have.

The first question you need to ask yourself is whether you're actually permitted to modify your chosen font. Many commercial fonts are licensed only for use, not modification, although some font designers are quite happy for the end user to modify their fonts for personal or even commercial use, as long as the user isn't reselling the modified font itself. If in doubt, check with the designer or the vendor.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

You might simply start by asking the machine vendor if you can use external fonts, such as those which come from Microsoft. They could readily tell you of any complexities.
Michael Love

Post by Michael Love »

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for you replies I really appreciate it.

The more I look into changing the fonts myself, the more I realise its not for me. Like everyone else there's only so many hours in the day you can work, and I've found my limit!
So I think it would be better to try to out source someone who could do this for me (probably in more than half the time) and allow me to get on with the main job in hand.
The change of font would not infringe on any licence, and I would definitely not be selling it to anyone.

With all this in mind is there any one out there that would like to have a look at the font in question and see if they could give me a quotation for doing this?

Many thanks

Michael
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Please tell us the name of the font and give us some idea of the kinds of changes that are required.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Michael Love

Post by Michael Love »

Hi,

The font is called SL43. I could send a picture of it and of the font required if it helps.

Thanks

Michael
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I honestly think you're wasting your time with this. Special fonts for engraving machines will be copyright and cannot be edited.

A search for SL43 Engraving Font found this one. Is that it?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Michael Love

Post by Michael Love »

Hi Bhikkhu,

Yes thats the font but its only a reference, I would want it changed. Can you help?

Many thanks.

Michael
Michael Love

Post by Michael Love »

Or if I could send you a picture of the font I was looking for could some one recommend where I could go to try and find it? Though I am not sure how or if I can attach a picture.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Michael Love wrote:Can you help?
No. As I said, it's a commercial font and it cannot be modified.

I have no experience of creating fonts for engraving machines. They may have different requirements than fonts intended for print.

There may be some forum members who would undertake to create a new font from scratch to your specifications, but I don't do commercial work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Michael Love

Post by Michael Love »

Ok no problem