Windows XP and old fonts

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Jowaco

Windows XP and old fonts

Post by Jowaco »

A person in the newsgroup comp.fonts posted a problem about an old font which could not be used in Windows XP.
Character wrote:XP considers many fonts that used to work as being damaged or simply
"not a valid font file".

They are just about always correctible by opening them in a program like
Fontlab and re-saving them.
Does the same happen with FCP, I wonder. I have no computer with Windows XP as the operating system and I do not know whether I have an old font which will not work in Windows XP in order to test this out.

Just curious. It would be useful to know.

Joe.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Jowaco hello

Well, I have XP and I have old fonts (according to Erwin) and haven't had problems of "not a valid font file".

One could guess it's a specific problem and not a generic one. It would be nice to ask for a copy to see what FCP does with it, or for that matter what someone else's system (XP or not) does with it.

Dick
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

When in a font file the font subfamily name is not included XP refuses to install the font. Simply opening and saving the font in FC doesn't solve the problem: you need to supply a name.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Both Windows 2000 (since SP4) and Windows XP refuse fonts with missing naming fields.

Your font probably lacks one or more required naming fields (or included them but didn't give them a valid value). Read the help file for more information about this.

http://www.high-logic.com/manual/namingoverview.html

The easiest way to give your font a name is to use the AutoNaming wizard available from the Tools menu. This will most likely solve your problem.

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology