FontCreator vs FontForge

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Psymon

FontCreator vs FontForge

Post by Psymon »

No, I'm not here to compare the two programs, but rather I get some warnings if/when I open my FontCreator-created font -- which has no validation errors or any other kinds of errors now -- in FontForge, just simply opening up my font in that latter software immediately gives me several warnings...
The following table(s) in the font have been ignored by FontForge
Ignoring 'DSIG' digital signature table
The glyph named Omega is mapped to U+2126,
But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+03A9.
The glyph named Tcommaaccent is mapped to U+021A,
But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+0162.
The glyph named tcommaaccent is mapped to U+021B,
But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+0163.
I do seem to have two "Omegas" for some reason -- I assumed that one was for my "Greek" character set, and the other was for math/scientific or something.

And re the T (or t) with the "commaaccent," in FontCreator once again each glyph is there twice, but for each one glyph is named "Tcommaaccent" (or lowercase tcommaccent) and the other it's named "Tcedilla" (or "tcedilla").

I have no idea what the "Ignoring 'DSIG' digital signature table" warning is in reference to (I have no idea what a digital signature table is!).

Should I be concerned about these FontForge warnings?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: FontCreator vs FontForge

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The DLIG (digital signature) table identifies the font as OpenType *.otf.

My fonts also have Omega duplicate. I think it's not a error

The Tcedilla may be incorrectly mapped in your font. Use the icons in the Glyph Properties dialogue to name the glyph from its code-point, or to map the code-point from its name.
Glyph Properties.png
Glyph Properties.png (13.47 KiB) Viewed 10185 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Tcedilla may be incorrectly mapped in your font. Use the icons in the Glyph Properties dialogue to name the glyph from its code-point, or to map the code-point from its name.
Well, that's odd, those two (or four, rather) "t" characters do seem to be mapped/named just fine, there doesn't seem to be any problem with them (that I can find) -- odd that FontForge gave me those errors, when there doesn't seem to be any (as far as I can tell). :?
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd open up a "professional" font like Arial in FontForge and see if it also gave similar errors -- indeed, it does (not the same ones, but similar ones).

I guess FontForge is VERY picky! Or delusional, seeing booboos where there aren't any. :shock: ;)
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

If you want to see one or two errors try doing a validation check on Times New Roman! :shock:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Actually FontCreator does give two characters the same name: 03A9 and 2126 are both named Omega.

That should never happen (we'll fix this in the next upcoming release), but FF is also wrong, as Omega should be mapped to $2126.

[Tt]commaaccent are correctly mapped.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

PJMiller wrote:If you want to see one or two errors try doing a validation check on Times New Roman! :shock:
Ha ha ;)

(Sometimes I wish this forum had "like," "ha-ha," etc. buttons like facebook does!) :mrgreen:
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Actually FontCreator does give two characters the same name: 03A9 and 2126 are both named Omega.

That should never happen (we'll fix this in the next upcoming release), but FF is also wrong, as Omega should be mapped to $2126.

[Tt]commaaccent are correctly mapped.
I don't get the omega thing either -- like I said earlier, I just figured that one was a Greek character, while the other was meant for math/scientific, but if that was the case then it's odd that FontForge sees that as an error.

And I really don't understand the warnings I got about the T/tcommaaccent, because everything about the glyphs in question seemed different from each other (and all the info in the properties for each glyph seemed correct), so I don't know why it's giving those errors in the first place.

But whatever -- that's why I use FontCreator and not FontForge for type design, I guess. ;)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I sure hope that is not the only reason :roll:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I sure hope that is not the only reason :roll:
Well, no, it's also because you're Dutch, en ik ben ook vanuit Nederland (at least, my parents were) and it is NL where printing with moveable type all began (with my namesake, Meneer LJ Koster, in Haarlem back around 1440).

So there's two reasons. ;)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Best reasons ever :lol:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Psymon wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:I sure hope that is not the only reason :roll:
Well, no, it's also because you're Dutch, en ik ben ook vanuit Nederland (at least, my parents were) and it is NL where printing with moveable type all began (with my namesake, Meneer LJ Koster, in Haarlem back around 1440).

So there's two reasons. ;)
Actually printing with moveable type was first done in China around 1050 AD, at first with wooden characters but they were not durable so after a couple of decades they started making the characters from clay (i.e. ceramics).
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Don't ruin it for us, PJ. ;)