11pt type bigger than 12pt type... especially on my macs

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
artifax

11pt type bigger than 12pt type... especially on my macs

Post by artifax »

I've been playing with Font Creator since 2002... and finally just broke down and purchased it... though I was hoping for a Macintosh version.

My question is that in every font I've designed with FCP the 11pt type is bigger than the 12pt type... especially when I convert them on my macs.

I have Fontographer and FontStudio for my Macintoshes... however I am truly enjoying the simplicity of FCP... I just wish I could solve this problem.

ANYONE !?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What values are you using for WinAscent and WinDescent? If you can post a font, perhaps someone can see which values are wrong.

TypoAscender
The typographic ascender for this font. Remember that this is not the same as the Ascender value in the Header tab, which Apple defines in a far different manner.

The suggested usage for TypoAscender is that it be used in conjunction with unitsPerEm to compute a typographically correct default line spacing. The goal is to free applications from Macintosh or Windows-specific metrics which are constrained by backward compatibility requirements. These new metrics, when combined with the character design widths, will allow applications to lay out documents in a typographically correct and portable fashion.

TypoDescender
The typographic descender for this font. Remember that this is not the same as the Descender value in the Header tab, which Apple defines in a far different manner.

The suggested usage for TypoDescender is that it be used in conjunction with unitsPerEm to compute a typographically correct default line spacing. The goal is to free applications from Macintosh or Windows-specific metrics, which are constrained by backward compatibility requirements. These new metrics, when combined with the character design widths, will allow applications to lay out documents in a typographically correct and portable fashion.

TypoLineGap
The typographic line gap for this font. Remember that this is not the same as the LineGap value in the Header tab, which Apple defines in a far different manner.

The suggested usage for TypoLineGap is that it be used in conjunction with unitsPerEm to compute a typographically correct default line spacing. Typical values average 7-10% of units per em.

WinAscent
The ascender metric for Windows. This, too, is distinct from Apple's Ascender value in the Header tab and from the TypoAscender value. WinAscent is computed as the yMax for all characters in the Windows ANSI character set. WinAscent is used to compute the Windows font height and default line spacing. For Symbol fonts, it is the same as yMax.

WinDescent
The descender metric for Windows. This, too, is distinct from Apple's Descender value in the Header tab and from the TypoDescender value. WinDescent is computed as the -yMin for all characters in the Windows ANSI character set. WinDescent is used to compute the Windows font height and default line spacing. For Symbol fonts, it is the same as -yMin.

© 1997-2004 High-Logic The Netherlands
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486