Custom OpenType Layout Features??

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
southwindows

Custom OpenType Layout Features??

Post by southwindows »

I am looking at the list of features in the new FontCreator 11. This item is listed on the comparison chart and the flyout says "With this feature you can define custom OpenType Layout Features."

I understood that one of the main differences between OpenType versus AAT or Graphite smart fonts is that with the latter two, the font designer can create custom features, while with OpenType if a feature is not officially registered applications don't support it. With OT more stuff is hardwired into the font engine, which can make things easier but does not allow flexibility.

Have I misunderstood something? If I've got it right, how FC support custom OT features that will work?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Custom OpenType Layout Features??

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator supports all registered features

An alphabetical list of feature tags can be found at Microsoft Typography.

What kind of custom feature do you think you might need?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
southwindows

Post by southwindows »

Thanks for the reply. I probably misunderstood what was meant.

When I saw the phrase "custom OpenType layout features," what popped into my mind was the idea of creating features that aren't already in OT. I was surprised because that's not possible, which prompted me to post this question. I didn't have anything particular in mind, just thought that what I read didn't agree with my understanding of how OT works. I am well acquainted with the list of registered features on the Microsoft site.

The phrase probably refers to the fact that using FC one can add OT features that are already registered in the specification but not present in a given font (or modify features already in a font, if necessary and appropriate). That would be another, more correct interpretation of the phrase. My apologies for not thinking more clearly.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes, FontCreator allows you to modify features in existing fonts (if the license permits), so that they work differently, or add your own features designed how you want them to work.

I am not familiar with Graphite or other smart font technology, although I know about it, I have never looked into how it works or what it can do that standard OT features cannot.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486