How to pack a little more punch?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Psymon

How to pack a little more punch?

Post by Psymon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 pm

I could use some suggestions here -- I'm not sure how to explain it other than to just simply show you (and explain it in there), so I threw together this image here...
Wickednesse Size.jpg
Wickednesse Size.jpg (366.77 KiB) Viewed 377 times
See what the problem is? All three fonts -- my blackletter, roman and italic -- all share the same x-height, etc., but somehow my blackletter font (Wickednesse) doesn't pack as much of a punch as I thought/hoped it would. If it was, like, even just one point size bigger in size then I think it would stand out more -- but how do I go about making it slightly bigger in that way, without having to do it "manually" in my final-end software? In a way, I guess it would be cool if the blackletter font could be used in the same way that one might use bold in certain contexts.

Does that make sense? Hope I explained what the problem that I "see" here is.

Psymon

Re: How to pack a little more punch?

Post by Psymon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Hmm... no responses. Perhaps I gave the only sensible response right in my initial query here? And so that's what I thought I'd try -- scale up the size of my Wickednesse font just a little.

So I thought I'd start with trying 105% increase in size using the "Scale" feature in the Glyph Transformer -- not all the characters, I left things like punctuation, symbols, etc. all the same (since they're used across all three of my fonts here), but I only scaled up the main alphabetic characters (including those in the extended character sets, and my ligs/alts in the PUA). That seemed to help, but it still seemed to need a little more, so I did the same again, another 105% increase in size, and that seemed to do the trick. I could probably go a little bigger, even, and give my blackletter a little more "punch" (whenever it might occur within the context of stuff written with my roman/italic fonts as the base font), but I think this is probably enough.

For reference, here's the same graphic that I uploaded with my initial post, but this time with those few words written in my Wickednesse font bumped up in size by 110% (110.25%, to be exact)...
Wickednesse Size 2.jpg
Wickednesse Size 2.jpg (371.11 KiB) Viewed 368 times
That's better, isn't it? I also fixed up a couple little things in the Roman font which you might notice, too, but the main thing I was addressing here was the "un-bold-ness" of the blackletter font in comparison to the reg./ital. fonts, and I think this pretty much did the trick. :)

If anyone has any comments on that, fire away! I'm still open to suggestions for better ways to go about this (or anything else, for that matter).

ocular

Re: How to pack a little more punch?

Post by ocular » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:44 am

Hi,
I'm just learning, and saw your font. I try to duplicate old texts using Abbyy Findereader and fonts I find on the internet. Since I look at old texts, I just felt I needed to complimant you on this one! Amazing! Look like "the real thing"! GREAT JOB1

Do you sell your fonts ?
thanks
ron