Saving and resaving TT fonts

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
dpearcePNG

Saving and resaving TT fonts

Post by dpearcePNG »

This is probably a funny question, other than losing the hinting (which I'm trying to decide if this is good or bad), is there any generational losses when reading a TT font, writing it out, reading, writing, reading, etc.?

Is anything lost in the process? Other font editors use a "editing" format and once you're done, you write out a TT font. Which leads me to think some metrics are lost in writing out the TT font.

(Of course I can't try this myself since I have only the trial version fo far.)

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you download Font Creator 5 from the download page, what you get is a fully functional copy of the Professional Edition that will work for 30 days. There are no limitations. As far as I know, nothing is stripped out by opening and saving fonts in Font Creator. Unsupported tables are still preserved.

From the Help File

Over the years the TrueType font specification has been updated with new tables. Font Creator supports 16 tables (four tables are related to hinting and are only partly supported). All other tables are not supported.

When a font file is opened Font Creator loads all tables into memory, except for those tables that are excluded by settings from the Options window. Unsupported tables are saved back into the font file without modifications.

The preferred table ordering is defined in the file TableOffsetOrder.txt. Although this is the recommended order for OpenType fonts with TrueType outlines in the Windows operating system, you can add, remove and change the order of these tables.

© 1997-2005 High-Logic The Netherlands
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486