Using edited fonts in MS-Word

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Carolina Sybill O'Reilly

Using edited fonts in MS-Word

Post by Carolina Sybill O'Reilly »

I have configured somefonts to type the vowels e, i and u with tilde.
In general they are okay, but when I use MS-Word, the character utilde, for example, comes out as zcaron. Where am I going wrong?

Regards
Carolina
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sounds like you have mapped them wrongly. When you say that they are generally OK does that mean they work in other programs, or just that they look OK in Font Creator's test window?

Character • Decimal • Hexadecimal

Ẽ • 7868 • 1EBC
ẽ • 7869 • 1EBD
Ĩ • 296 • 0128
ĩ • 297 • 0129
Ũ • 360 • 0168
ũ • 361 • 0169
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Carolina Sybill O'Reilly

I meant that I use the fonts in other programs, as in some Help Editors, for example - Mainly Help & Manual.

Regards
carolina
Carolina Sybill O'Reilly

Many thanks for your help.
I do apologize for taking so long time to reply, but my PC is out of order. Presently I am using a friend's.

I need a sugestion that I believe will be easy to you:

I want to have the characters available in my keyboard. I definined some ALT codes that are empty, so I could use them. But how do I 'teach' the file to save such characters with these ALT codes?

ALT + 141 - Etilde
ALT + 142 - etilde
ALT + 143 - Itilde
ALT + 144 - itilde
ALT + 157 - Utilde
ALT + 158 - utilde

I had succesfully defined them with version 1 of Program creator, but now I'm completely lost. The program has chaged a lot and I'm not a geek.

Regards
Carolina
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not easy at all to answer as it depends on the programs you are using.

What you say you want to do is assign the extra letters to the blank spaces in character map from 141-144 and 157-158. However, these are control characters so they should not be used to map characters as far as I know. I tried it just to test. In wordpad, 0141 came out OK, but 0142, which I mapped to ẽ came out as Z caron, just like you got in Word.

Adding mappings is easy. In the Overview, Alter Enter to view the glyph properties. Click on the Mappings Tab, and enter the codepoint in the value field. Then click on Add.

The problem is that things have moved on since you created your ANSI character set fonts in "Font Creator 1?" for Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. It may still be possible to make the font work as you want, but you might have to map ẽ to é or another unused character like ÿ instead of 0142. If you do that, will the help files need others to install your special font in order to read them? This is best avoided if possible.

I'm guessing that the help programs you want to use these fonts in don't support Unicode. If they do, then the only real problem is typing the correct Unicode characters. A keyboard macro program can do that for you. Basically, you just record a Windows macro and type Alter 7868, then play it back to type Ẽ E tilde.

Using Unicode fonts in Word is no problem as you can assign keyboard shortcuts to any convenient keystroke or combination of keystrokes - for example ẽ could be assigned to ~e. Easy to remember and not too hard to type, or control e - a bit quicker to type. You might be able to type in Word and cut and paste text to other programs.

If you download my free Unicode font, Verajja, you will find it contains all of the characters that you need, correctly mapped to Unicode so you can use it Word, and also see how it looks in Font Creator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi Carolina Sybill O'Reilly. Welcome to the forum.

Well, I like my solution. It worked on one test font and I assume it will work with all fonts...

If all we're trying to do is have the alt+ 3-digit numbers become the character then the following works:

Alt+141 displays the glyph assigned to Decimal location 236 ì
Alt+142 -do- 196 Ä
Alt+143 -do- 197 Å
Alt+144 -do- 201 É
Alt+157 -do- 165 ¥
Alt+158 -do- 8359 P

So map your characters as:
Etilde to 236
etilde to 196
Itilde to 143
itilde to 201
Utilde to 165
utilde to 8359

Of course this replaces the mapping of characters:
141 ì igrave
142 Ä Adieresis
143 Å Aring
144 É Eacute
157 ¥ yen
158 P peseta

Work for you?

Dick

ps I don't think there are very many Alt codes that are empty. Interestingly, there are 3-digit alts and 4-digit alts which are different characters and after 256 the letters repeat so you can use Alt+155 (¢) and Alt +(155+256=411) (¢).
Carolina Sybill O'Reilly

From Bhikkhu Pesala I learned that that empty alt codes cannot be used.
From Dick Pape I learned that I could substitute non-used characters.
Thanks, guys. Due to your assistance I was able to edit my fints accordingly.

Regards
Carlina