Option to get code point from character

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Option to get code point from character

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

What if... we had a dialogue box or input box somewhere that we could paste in a character (unicode!) and Maintype would tell us the code points for that character. For example, the other day I copied an accented ae character from another application and I could paste it well enough into MainTypes "sample" panel and it displays fine - but there was no way to discover the code points for it except by scrolling through the glyph listing and visually hunting for it amoungst the thousands of unicode glyphs! How painful! Finally I gave up and searched through the Unicode Chart pdf that I aquired somewhere... No help from MainType! But if I already know that accented ae is code point 509, there is no problem for Maintype to find THAT. But it can't search by glyph, even though it can display it in the Sample panel.
-BGM
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Option to get code point from character

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you tried using the Find dialogue?

For example, to find æ in a font, type "ae" in the find character dialogue and start searching. First you will find characters with diaeresis, then you will soon find æ. If you know that it is called "latin small letter ae," you can find it even quicker.

The opposite is easier — finding a character from its code point (230 or $e6).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Re: Option to get code point from character

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

But what if it is some character that I have no idea what its name is? I only happen to know the name of the ae character because I looked it up in the unicode charts. What I am suggesting is that MainType could have the feature to FIND that name.