How do I get Word to recognize new characters?????

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fontmeester

Re: How do I get Word to recognize new characters?????

Post by Fontmeester »

Okay.

First of all, I was thanking everyone in general at the same time.

I think the answer I was looking for is as folllows (I have now determined):

1. In Font Creator, you open your font. Then you go to the Insert New Character Function, where you get the big green grid.

2. Scroll down until it says: Supplementary Private Use Area-A Plane at the top of the window (THIS is the IMPORTANT step!).

3. Double-click on the glyphs in this area to add them to your font.

Apparently you are all so used to this and find it so simple, that you were unable to give me these step-by-step instructions, because you probably all just DO it without even thinking about it. From your replies I was able to infer this procedure, so it worked out.

Thank you for your help.

By the way, as I stated in my previous posts (some of you did not read them thoroughly), I don't use the Word Insert Function myself either. this whole thing is for a client. I usually just make a new font if I want more characters, and make a Word document from which I cut (and paste) chacters.

And no, I made my OWN font, I am not modifying someone else's. The Font Creator documentation suggests that you add characters from existing fonts, which is how I started. then placed MY OWN characters OVER these (I am not trying to steal someone else's font, I was just trying to get blank characters to "exist".)
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Thank you for the clarification. :)
Fontmeester wrote:I think the answer I was looking for is as folllows (I have now determined):

1. In Font Creator, you open your font. Then you go to the Insert New Character Function, where you get the big green grid.

2. Scroll down until it says: Supplementary Private Use Area-A Plane at the top of the window (THIS is the IMPORTANT step!).

3. Double-click on the glyphs in this area to add them to your font.

Apparently you are all so used to this and find it so simple, that you were unable to give me these step-by-step instructions, because you probably all just DO it without even thinking about it. From your replies I was able to infer this procedure, so it worked out.
Big green grid? Double-click on the glyphs in the Supplementary Private Use area?? I'm afraid you've completely lost me now, but I'm glad you managed to get it working for you! :lol:
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Fontmeester

Post by Fontmeester »

I am very sorry people, but I also cannot figure out how to respond to these messages specifically (to the sender), so...

By the "big green grid" I mean the thing you can see in the first post of:

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm

you know, what you see when you are trying in insert characters.

:)
Fontmeester

Post by Fontmeester »

Plus I am not seeing some of my posts... and then they seem to show up later...but after ones I posted in the meantime....

ANYWAY: It is still not working. My plan to go the the Insert Character window (yes, it's green and it's a grid), make sure I was sitting in the Private use area (A or B) DID NOT WORK

I aksed if this is an MS Word problem (will it NEVER recognize the new characters?), but I don;t see that post...(yet?)

Okay, Alfred, how do YOU insert new characters? I went to the Insert Character big green grid, nad if you double-click on the spaces, the program fills in the numbers at the bottom for you. Seems okay to me, what do YOU do that is so different?

I'm sorry if you people think I am being difficult, but repeating "just add them" or ÿou need to create them"is not very helpful, I'm afraid.

I really do appreciate your help, but so far I still do not know how to add characters (blanks that I will fill in with my own letters and symbols later) which MS Word will see in its Insert Symbol function.

It seemed like a fairly simple question to me.
:wink:
Fontmeester

Post by Fontmeester »

Apparently, MS Word does not recognize Latin-1 Supplement, which Gmail does recognize
Attachments
not in word.jpg
not in word.jpg (15.78 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Fontmeester

Post by Fontmeester »

On the other hand, Word DOES recognize something called Bopomofo....
Attachments
bopomofo.jpg
bopomofo.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Fontmeester wrote:I am very sorry people, but I also cannot figure out how to respond to these messages specifically (to the sender), so...
Click the 'quote' button to the right of the post title.
By the "big green grid" I mean the thing you can see in the first post of:

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm

you know, what you see when you are trying in insert characters.

:)
Aha — that 'green grid'! :D It's actually the cell backgrounds which are green, rather than the grid itself, and even those are only green for the characters which are already in the font. ;)
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Fontmeester wrote:Plus I am not seeing some of my posts... and then they seem to show up later...but after ones I posted in the meantime....

ANYWAY: It is still not working. My plan to go the the Insert Character window (yes, it's green and it's a grid), make sure I was sitting in the Private use area (A or B) DID NOT WORK
You seem to be choosing the Supplementary Private Use Areas (A and B) which are both blank for me; i.e. no characters shown, and no green cell backgrounds. Until now, in my relatively short time as a user of FontCreator (less than a year) I've only ever visited the main Private Use Area, not the supplementary ones.
Fontmeester wrote:Okay, Alfred, how do YOU insert new characters? I went to the Insert Character big green grid, nad if you double-click on the spaces, the program fills in the numbers at the bottom for you. Seems okay to me, what do YOU do that is so different?
I do just as Erwin described: I enter the values in the 'Codepoint(s)' edit box. OK, so you can actually double-click on the cells, but if you do that you get a comma-separated list (which isn't much help for a range of values like $E000 - $F8FF).
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Fontmeester wrote:On the other hand, Word DOES recognize something called Bopomofo....
Read all about it here: Zhuyin fuhao.
Fontmeester

Post by Fontmeester »

Hello all.

1. I think my Primary Private Areas (that sounds hilarious!) are full.

2. Whether or not there is a character or a blank space in the pigeonhole in the Big Green Grid in the Insert Character window, you can double-click on any space and the program will put the HEX names in for you, so you don't have to type them yourself. (That's right, even if the pigeonhole is blank.)
This is handy sometimes, although I can see typing them in is also handy, especially when there's a whole string and you use a hyphen between the numbers.

3. THIS WHOLE THING TURNS OUT TO BE AN MS WORD PROBLEM.
Word recognizes some languages (i.e. you can find them in the Word Insert Symbol Table once you have "made them exist".)
Other ones IT DOES NOT.
Syriac, for example, DOES NOT WORK.
Hangul Jamo and Hangul Compatibilty Jamo work, as does Bopomofo, but Unified Canadian Aboriginal DOES NOT.
AND SO ON.

So I just went through and tested a bunch of foreign language sets and found the ones that "work".
Now I have a font with 3000 characters, all of which appear in the Word Insert Symbol Table, which is what my client wanted.

Problem solved.
:D