Easier Editing of Data Files

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Easier Editing of Data Files

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are several data files that are editable to change FontCreator's dialogues and panels, e.g. tags.txt can be edited to change the names of the tags used in the Overview panel.

However, it's stored in a protected folder, and cannot be saved there easily. If it is copied to %AppData% then it can be edited. Most users won't know how to do this.

The same goes for UnicodeData.txt, Blocks.txt, and several other files, also for the Export HTML Templates used by MainType.

Please make this easier for users by copying all editable data files on installing the programs. Ideally, one would be able to edit simple things like tags.txt from the GUI, though I can appreciate that UnicodeData.txt or Blocks.txt or glyphnames.dat should be somewhat difficult for novice users to mess with.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Easier Editing of Data Files

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Excellent idea. We'll add this to our to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: • Easier Editing of Data Files

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is now implemented in FontCreator 8.0 — go to Tools, Options, Advanced. Copy Data Files to User Data Folder, Open the User Data Folder, then edit Tags.txt in Notepad to rename the tags in the Glyph Overview panel. Edit Blocks.txt in the Unicode folder to hide some never used characters sets from dialogues. Edit CompositeData.xml to change the way that Composite glyphs are composed, etc.
Advanced Options.png
Advanced Options.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486