Edit font and resave not overwriting original font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
topsytoon

Edit font and resave not overwriting original font

Post by topsytoon »

Hi Guys,
I am trying to edit the comic sans font so as to make it easier for me to read as I am dyslexic.

I have edited the font, though when I try to re-save the font, windows informs me that it will overwrite my existing font.

I have tried renaming the edited font with no luck, ie windows still wants to overwrite the original font.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Edit font and resave not overwriting original font

Post by Alfred »

Setting aside the fact that editing Comic Sans MS is almost certainly a technical breach of copyright, even if the amended version is only for your own use, you should be editing a copy of the file rather than the installed original. Which version of FontCreator do you have, and what version of Windows are you using?

You might find that Trebuchet MS is better suited to your needs. I have read that it has a good reputation among people with dyslexia.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's a free and OpenSource font for Dyslexia Sufferers.

Install that and see how you like it. You can modify that one, and share it without infringing any copyrights, though read the terms of the license first — there are still limits to what you can do with OpenSource fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
topsytoon

Post by topsytoon »

Font creator 7.5 and Windows 8

I'm modifying the font for personal use only, so as to make reading easier / less stress on my eyes/ brain

Tried copying font, windows wont let me do it.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

I have no problem copying fonts from the Fonts folder on Windows 7, and I'd be very surprised if that side of things has changed so much in Windows 8. If you right-click a font file there should be a 'Copy' option on the context menu, and you should be able to paste to any location where you normally save documents or downloads.

I still think you should consider alternatives to Comic Sans MS. I had forgotten about OpenDyslexic: why not follow up Bhikkhu Pesala's suggestion?
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
topsytoon

Post by topsytoon »

Managed to copy the font which I renamed and then edited, windows is still saying it wants to replace the existing font.

Thanks guys, for the suggestions of using a different font, but it's comic sans I would like to use.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can achieve what I want to do?

TIA
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As well as renaming the Truetype Font file in Windows Explorer, you also have to rename the Font Family name in Font Properties to something other than “Comic Sans MS”
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486