Verajja Serif

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Verajja Serif

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Download 7-Zip Archive

Like my other free fonts, it includes an extensive range of Latin Extended characters, Greek, Miscellaneous Symbols, Arrows, Geometric Shapes, and Dingbats. It is designed so that single line spacing is at 130% to accommodate the accents for Vietnamese. You may prefer to reduce the line-spacing to 120% for English text.

Version 1.30 now includes OpenType features.
Version 1.40 adds Contextual Ligatures for Velthuis encoding.
Version 1.80 added Small Capitals

Verajja Serif Typeface Sample
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you for posting details about the font and for making it available.

The licensing includes the following.

The Font Software may be modified, altered, or added to, and in particular the designs of glyphs or characters in the Fonts may be modified and additional glyphs or characters may be added to the Fonts, only if the fonts are renamed to names not containing either the words "Bitstream" or the word "Vera".

end quote

I notice that you wrote the following.

> A friend kindly added hinting to the font for me.

I seem to remember from somewhere that you once wrote about a friend adding hinting (to another font) using an automated process. Is that the case here?

I am interested to add some more glyphs, yet the problem is that if I do then the hinting will get lost.

For example, I might try to add some ligature glyphs into the Private Use Area in the hope that they might be useful from there at present and in the hope that the glyphs might one day get used in an OpenType version of the font. As well as ligatures such as ct at U+E707 I might well try some capital ligatures such as AR and OO. As I understand it the loss of hinting would not affect printing to hard copy. I know that it would affect using the font to make a graphic. I do not know what effect loss of hinting would have on a pdf, when displayed on screen and when printed.

So, I wonder if you might consider adding some extra glyphs for ligatures to the next version of the font please.

William Overington

9 April 2007
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Verajja Serif

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Verajja Serif was updated to version 1.40 to add OpenType features. The Currency Symbols, Miscellaneous Symbols, and Dingbat character sets were completed for Unicode version 7.0. The Greek Extended character set and Coptic glyphs were removed to make maintenance easier. If you need Polytonic Greek please use my Garava or Guru fonts.

FontCreator 8.0 was used to add Automatic hinting, OpenType features, and group-based kerning. These fonts have about 20,000 kerning pairs. I learnt several new tricks while editing this set of fonts. See the Tip of the Day thread in the Tutorials forum.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Verajja Serif was updated to version 1.40 to add OpenType features.
Thanks for the update, Bhikkhu Pesala. You might like to fix the link on your Fonts page: I found it quite hard to identify a spot where I could click to get the download!
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alfred wrote:Thanks for the update, Bhikkhu Pesala. You might like to fix the link on your Fonts page: I found it quite hard to identify a spot where I could click to get the download!
I don't see what the problem is — hovering anywhere over the GIF images should indicate a download. Browsers other than Opera show a popup at bottom left, Opera shows a tooltip. The VerajjaSerif.gif also has a tooltip, which I should add to the other images for the benefit of non Opera users or those who disable tooltips.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Alfred wrote:Thanks for the update, Bhikkhu Pesala. You might like to fix the link on your Fonts page: I found it quite hard to identify a spot where I could click to get the download!
I don't see what the problem is — hovering anywhere over the GIF images should indicate a download. Browsers other than Opera show a popup at bottom left, Opera shows a tooltip. The VerajjaSerif.gif also has a tooltip, which I should add to the other images for the benefit of non Opera users or those who disable tooltips.
There's no problem in Opera or IE. In Firefox I either see the tooltip over the graphic or the URL at the bottom of the browser window (but not both): it seems to depend on whether the cursor is over the text or the background. When I see the tooltip, a left-click does nothing (although, curiously, a right-click actually offers the 'Save Link As...' option).

In Comodo Dragon, which is what I'm using now and was using then, the display behaviour is similar to Firefox except that the tooltip is accompanied by a default cursor instead of a pointing hand (making it look as though there is no link). When I right-click in this mode there is no 'Save link as...' option; I've just discovered that a left-click does actually work, despite the outward signs that it isn't going to do anything, but when originally downloading the file I right-clicked because I wanted to make sure that the file didn't automatically end up in my default Downloads folder.
Verajja-Serif_Comodo-Dragon.png
Verajja-Serif_Comodo-Dragon.png (15.4 KiB) Viewed 20885 times
The Verajja and VerajjaPDF links both work as expected.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added Title tags to all of the images. Let me know if that helps.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

There's no change in the behaviour of the Verajja Serif link, and the other links seem to be similarly afflicted now. :(

Here's a pair of screenshots from Firefox:
Verajja-Serif_Mozilla-Firefox.png
Verajja-Serif_Mozilla-Firefox.png (28.82 KiB) Viewed 20879 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe this helps locating the cause of the problem:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.50 fixes a bug in the OpenType feature precedence. You can now use Petite Capitals without disabling Standard and Discretionary Ligatures.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.80 added Small Capitals and uses smaller diacritics for both Small and Petite Capitals. A Localized Forms feature was added for Romanian, and ligatures for Dutch. Stylistic Alternates for ! and ~ were added, the kerning classes were improved, and there are now twice as many kerning pairs. The Web versions (1,410 glyphs vs 2,638) include Small Capitals and are hinted, but have only a few symbols, and no Petite Capitals, Enclosed Alphanumerics, Roman Numerals, or Alternative Fractions.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 1.90 added four glyphs for Nordic, improved glyphs with ogonek, added reversed question mark and inverted interrobang, changed Stylistic Alternates to Character Variants, and fixed some bugs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 2.00 adds Stylistic Alternates for gold drop capitals — the Pagoda Symbol is now gold too. The Stylistic Set for symbols was changed to Character Variants, and a second Stylistic set was added for Romanian Alternate forms: Şş and Ţţ (Localised forms are not supported by the Serif Apps that I use). More superscript and subscript glyphs were added for the fractions feature, which now works for fractions like x+y/(a-b). The fonts were validated to remove suspicious points and other bugs.