Missing a Kerning Step?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
boballen

Missing a Kerning Step?

Post by boballen »

I guess I'd better ask before I pull out the rest of my hair. I followed the video tutorial in this forum on using the open type kerning dialogue. I just changed a few pairs to make sure I had the right idea. Haven't gotten past that since I can't get it to work. I've tried the font in a program (Serif PagePlus) I know will read the kerning tables, and have turned kerning off and on to verify. But my font won't budge (for example, a '.' sliding under an 'F'). Is there something I've missed? I attached a project file (FC 8.0 professional) with just the characters I was working with. Have I not set something that should be set?
Attachments
Kerning Trouble.fcp
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Missing a Kerning Step?

Post by Alfred »

Which version of PagePlus are you using, Bob? When I tested your font with the string 'ABCDEF,' in PPX5, X6, X7 and X8, it behaved as expected.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
boballen

Post by boballen »

Wow! I have the latest version of X7. If I couldn't get the kerning on other fonts to work in the same text box, I would think it was a setting in PP. But I put three other kerned fonts in the same text box and they kern and "unkern" as I change the setting on the format text>character>spacing option box.
boballen

Post by boballen »

WordPerfect does the same thing. But Page Plus is what I do my publishing with. So could it be something about the way Windows is seeing my font in the Windows font folder?
boballen

Post by boballen »

P.S. The only characters actually in the font I attached are A F W y . , and " (actually the double smart quote, not the inch). I stripped it down to the only characters I applied any kerning pairs settings to. Kerning is between AW F, ". I knew I was in trouble when the , didn't slide under the F.
boballen

Post by boballen »

Bingo! It's working now. I must not have had my tongue set to the correct corner of my mouth when I clicked the install button.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Kerning works for me in PagePlus X7 with the Font Project that you provided, but I had to add some other glyphs to get it to show up in the Font List without installing it. Top is kerned — bottom is unkerned.

Make sure that you're including the kern table when exporting the font.

Provide us with the full font if you're still having trouble.
Tertius Kerning.png
Tertius Kerning.png (37.34 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
boballen

Post by boballen »

I never actually export fonts. I always install from FC into the Windows Font Folder, and then delete it and reinstall when I need to revise it. I guess I'll "wear out" that fonts folder eventually :lol:

Here's what the problem was:

PagePlus has a check box for kerning, but also a "Kern Above" setting. If your point size is set below the "kern above", it doesn't kern (go figure) :oops: . I dropped the setting and everything fell into place. Working great now. Thanks to all.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When exporting fonts for PagePlus, it's also important to include a legacy "kern" table. It doesn't yet support GPOS kerning, not even in the latest version PagePlus X8. Maybe in the next version.

Fonts from Linux and Adobe only include GPOS kerning tables, so they won't kern in PagePlus either.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486