Spacing

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
PIXHO

Spacing

Post by PIXHO »

Hi.
I am new to the program and i am trying to create a Pixelfont.
I want the same spacing between every letter, but the Problem is that some letters have a different spacing, especially those with a larger overall width( 5 Pixels in my case).
I tried to fix that via the kernel, but there are still some issues.
Is there an easy way to align my letters?

Thanks in advance,
Johannes
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This part of the user manual should help:
http://www.high-logic.com/manual/monosp ... ional.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PIXHO

Post by PIXHO »

Hm, cant get this to work.
I followed the manual, but the results are the same.
Well, i will keep trying...

btw, this is the font:
http://hometown.aol.de/Onedjo/PIXOtest.zip
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Advance Width is too low, try 1100 through the AutoMetrics wizard.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PIXHO

Post by PIXHO »

Thanks, looks much better now, i still have to crank up the spacing in Frehand though, because they are all above each other.
The only true problems left are the letters with a non 4- pixel width, like thw "X"( 5 pixels) or the "1"( 2 pixels).
They are still causing wrong results at their right side.
Think i will have fix that manually, right?

Regards,
Johannes
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

All characters should have the same width after you finished the AutoMetrics wizard as described before. What wrong results do you see?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

When you applied the new spacing for your font did you forget to apply it to the whole font and not to just one selected glyph. I can get your font to work perfectly. After applying the Glyph transformer to set new width then apply it to centre the glyphs.

Joe.
PIXHO

Post by PIXHO »

Hi.
I dont know.
I think i made all the steps exactly as described in the manual.
Here is a screeny:
As you can see, W,M,X,V,I etc are making problems, because they have not a 4 pixel width, as the most of the letters.
And here is the font so far:
http://hometown.aol.de/Onedjo/PIXOtest.ttf

Greetings,
Johannes
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello PIXHO

1. If you want the same spacing between letters, use the AutoMetrics Wizard and select the Calculated option. This will set each character width dependent upon the size of the glyph. You can adjust white space before and after as you wish. Your concerns with 4-pixels or 5 pixels goes away.

As was mentioned make sure you select all the glyphs in your font.

2. In the Edit window, check the positioning of the glyph relative to the 0 line. Each character should be aligned to the right of the 0 position -- it's neater! and easier to see if there is a problem with alignment. See the : and ; characters. If they are moved on the other side of the 0 line you could see their alignment problems more readily.

3. For my taste there is too much space between lines of text. I would also change the Format/Settings/Windows Win Ascent and Win Descent values. These are the black glyph upper and lower boundary lines in the Edit window. Since you've designed each glyph to be 1000 units tall (and wide), you can shorten the Win Ascent to 1200 for instance. And since each gylph starts at 0 (except for semi-colon or colon) you could shorten the Win Descent to 200 or so.

4. I don't know what characters you have set in the Test Font window so it's hard to see what your entire font looks like from your screeny. A complete alphabet is helpful in most cases to see your entire font at once.

The source for this is stored in a file called fcppreview.txt in your FCP program folder. I keep a backup of the original as I tend to make changes to the Test Font based on what characters I may be looking at and need to reset it on occasion. Also non-standard characters must be entered with a \nnnn unicode character code.

5. (This is going on too long!) If you want a monospaced, fixed-width font, use the AutoMetrics Wizard and select "Fixed" with some value such as 1200. You must then adjust each character so that it is centered within that space, otherwise the I.,:;1 and so on will be along the left side of the space with a too large blank space to the right. Centering each character will give equal amounts of white space on each side rather than a whole lot on the right as you show in your screen shot.

I don't appreciate monospaced fonts as I never liked the way MmWw's look as they really must be compressed relative to the other characters.... my personal problem - your 4-5 pixel problem.

By the way, you might look at the slashed 7 character and see if it would work to extend the slash so that it extends out the back of the 7. This one looks like a backwards F.

Good luck in this effort.

Dick Pape