Font Vault Location

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
LarryTX

Font Vault Location

Post by LarryTX »

I've just installed MainType. I immediately noticed that they've done everything that they can to avoid disclosing the location of the "vault." With good reason, I've discovered. It would appear that the "vault" is located on a Windows 10 machine at C:\ProgramData\High-Logic FontService\vault. How terrible! How totally horrible! Like many, many PC users today, I have an SSD system disk. I don't have space on my system disk for every application, all the files generated by every application, all the system settings files and on and on and on for every single application that I have installed! How totally ridiculous!!!!! I reserve my system disk totally and exclusively for my operating system. That's why it's called a system disk. It's for the operating system. All of my applications and their associated supporting files are located on my D:\ drive. All of the documents and other files generated by my applications are located on my E:\ drive. It makes for an orderly, well organized and highly workable system. Of all the literally hundreds of applications that I have installed, only High-Logic MainType seems to require space on a drive reserved exclusively and solely for the operating system.

Surely, I'm totally missing something. How do I rectify this completely illogical and insane location of this font "vault?"
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font Vault Location

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I wonder why they would put advice on moving your font vault in the Help File? What an illogical and insane location for putting information on using the program?! :wink:
If you have multiple disks or partitions, you can also consider moving the font vault to a different location by using the FmsConfig utility.
Create and Restore Backups.png
Create and Restore Backups.png (12 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
Here is some info I found with an Internet search on the use for the ProgramData folder at HowTo Geek
HowTo Geek wrote:What Do Programs Store in ProgramData?
There’s also the ProgramData folder. This folder has most in common with the Application Data folders, but—instead of having an individual folder for each user—the ProgramData folder is shared among all the user accounts on your PC.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486