Idiot questions about updating

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fontidiot

Idiot questions about updating

Post by Fontidiot »

Hello everyone just your friend neighborhood idiot:
I have a question about updating from Main-Type 12 to Main-Type 13. During purchase of the update I forgot to download the update version only, not the full version download of Main-Type, does this make a difference if the full version download of current Main-Type 13 is used over the Main-Type 12? Is there a only update version download to update Main-Type 12 to Main-Type 13? Do I know what I am talking about or am I an idiot and there is only the new version Main-Type 13 download which is better than the old version Main-Type 12 which means that the registration serial number takes control of the version, professional or home, that is presented to the user? :?:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Idiot questions about updating

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You seem to be confused. The latest version of MainType is version 10.0.

Did you pay for an upgrade of FontCreator 12 to FontCreator 13, or for an upgrade of MainType 9.0 to MainType 10.0?

If you are upgrading MainType it is recommended to make a backup of your font vault using FMS Config.

At least, Export your Font Data to make a partial backup of your tags and ratings.

There are no special upgrade packages. For both FontCreator and MainType, you download the installer for the new and install it over the old version. It is never a bad idea to make a Windows Restore Point before installing new software, just in case you want to revert to the old version.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fontidiot

Re: Idiot questions about updating

Post by Fontidiot »

Thank you for your indulgence; I did not know that there was no "special" update packages for specific ordered upgrades and that all that was required was to update with the "completely" new version of the program. By the way, I have both programs and did confuse the numbers versions being the idiot that I am.
Again thank you.
Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood idiot :wink: