Strange bug of the program?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Philipp

Strange bug of the program?

Post by Philipp »

 Hello! I may ask why composite symbols formed by negative factor scaling (see red ellipse) are displayed correctly in the viewport (see blue ellipse), but in many other programs they are incorrect.
SS-1.PNG
SS-1.PNG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
 So, for example, even in the FontCreator itself in the text field "Note" the window "Font Properties" (green ellipse) or in Excell (orange ellipse). Why do such characters break the order in a string? Is this an uncorrected bug of the program? or can something be done about it?
Attachments
SS-2.PNG
SS-2.PNG (21.38 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Strange bug of the program?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is recommended to decompose scaled composites on export. This option may not be available in versions older than FontCreator 13.
Decompose scaled composites.png
Decompose scaled composites.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

 Thanks for the tip! In version 14, this option has been moved to the font export settings window. :D
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

 Oh, yeah. Only in this case, the size of the font file begins to grow by leaps and bounds. After enabling this option, the program decomposes all composite glyphs. And the main meaning of composite glyphs is lost. :(
 This turns out that if the size of the font file is important, you need to manually check each composite glyph whether it will be displayed correctly in other programs. In this case, the font preview window is of little use. It looks like this is a serious flaw in FontCreator. And the user is not aware of this in any way. :(
 Can anyone tell me under what conditions the composite glyph won't slide down the line? After all, not always with scaling composite components such a bug appears.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If there is any flaw at all, it is in the applications that do not support scaled composites.

FontCreator 14 offers several options in Export Settings. If I choose Decompose All, it bumps the size of my font from 1,327 kb to 1,541 kb, which is barely significant.
Decompose Options.png
Decompose Options.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
If you are keen to save on file size, remove character hinting, and use WOFF2 format for websites, where file size is an issue.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

 Thanks for the advice. Only my file size has grown from 500 kilobytes to 700. And that's far from the end. The problem with file size is that a number of programs do not want to work with font files that are larger than 1 megabytes.
 In addition, as the font file size increases, word processors begin to eat a significant amount of RAM. And this, in turn, makes it impossible to use them, for example, on mobile devices or old computers.
 In certain cases, your hint solves the problem. However, in fact, this is not an option. This is not serious for professional software.
 However, a solution of the problem is possible, because not all glyphs with scaled components are problematic.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

 Hurrah! Found a solution! Blessed is He, Who gives wisdom to man!
 To ensure that composite glyphs with scalable components do not violate the order of characters in a string,
SS-1.PNG
SS-1.PNG (10.73 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
and displayed correctly in any program (without a decompose operation during compilation to reduce the size of the font file)
SS-2.PNG
SS-2.PNG (11.13 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
one need to create an additional glyph and insert a zero-length path into it. To make this path invisible when displaying symbols.
SS-3.PNG
SS-3.PNG (10.03 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
And then add this symbol as additional components to the problematic composite glyph on the left and right outside the other components.
SS-4.PNG
SS-4.PNG (71.28 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
I don't know why, but it works. Now, humph :o , there is a lot of work to be done to correct the mistakes made due to ignorance.

The developers of the FontCreator should have respected the buyers of the software. After all, they are well aware of this problem. They could warn at least in the help documentation to save the user from stupid correction of the work done and the loss of so much time and effort. :twisted: