export font, 1 pixel vertical offset

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
zbeleh

export font, 1 pixel vertical offset

Post by zbeleh »

Hello,

I loaded a font into the application, exported it back without any modifications, and notice a 1-pixel vertical offset when using the two fonts.

attached are the old vs. new screenshots, pasted into Paint (excuse the archaic methods, i'm a newbie :lol: ).

between the top of the character and the bounding box, there are:
- 4 orange pixels in the "old.png"
- 3 orange pixels in the "new.png"

old:
old.png
old.png (399 Bytes) Viewed 1783 times
new:
new.png
new.png (329 Bytes) Viewed 1783 times
no alterations were made whatsoever, so I was looking at export options, but couldn't find anything.

would be grateful for any ideas.
Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: export font, 1 pixel vertical offset

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Check Export Settings, Hinting. Try "Keep Original."
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
zbeleh

Post by zbeleh »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 am Check Export Settings, Hinting. Try "Keep Original."
thanks for the suggestion.
tried the various hinting options, they did impact the result, each with pros and cons.

Outcome as follows:
- Keep original: rendering quality of the font is high, however there is 1 pixel vertical offset as described previously
- No hinting: the pixel offset is corrected, however the rendering quality has dropped significantly, blurry and hardly readable in places
- Auto-hinting: the pixel offset is corrected, with a rendering slightly improved from "no hinting", yet still poor compared to "Keep original"

Any way to maintain the hinting for rendering quality, yet avoid the 1px offset side-effect?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Check to see if the font metrics have been changed. Has the default line-spacing increased or decreased, or is it unchanged?

Compare the font properties for the original font and the exported font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
zbeleh

Post by zbeleh »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:27 am Check to see if the font metrics have been changed. Has the default line-spacing increased or decreased, or is it unchanged?

Compare the font properties for the original font and the exported font.
in the Font properties > Master tab, all the values matched except the hinting section (the limits were different).
i altered the exported font to have the same hinting limits and values as the original font, and the outcome is the same as "auto-hinting", meaning the pixel offset is corrected, but the rendering is poor compared to the "keep original" export :?