Folder/Sorting Advice Wanted

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Zcals Crafts

Folder/Sorting Advice Wanted

Post by Zcals Crafts »

#1: Which is the best way to layout the font folders do that ehen i delete in maintype, it actually deletes the font file off tne disk too.
Would I use "SYNC" to do that?

Right now i right click on font in ,sintyoe and select go to in folder
this way is tedious and subject to orphaned fonts etc

$2: What is the best way to layout the folders in the library?
Did you just make 1 folder for ALL TNE FONTS or did you make a seperate folder for specific fonts like a FAVORITES folder plus a TEXTURED FOLDER etc?

Im about to redo my whole library and wanted the best way to lay it out and use the folder directly in maintype to delete the font file and keep the folders updated

Any advice us greatly appreciated
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Folder/Sorting Advice Wanted

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Delete Fonts.

Stop thinking in terms of folders. MainType is a database. You create a new filter when you add a new group. When you delete a font from a group, you just remove it from that view, not from the database.

Because the database is indexed, MainType is very fast to display the fonts in any group or view.

I don't think anyone can tell you how best to organise your fonts. It depends on how you use MainType.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Zcals Crafts

Post by Zcals Crafts »

I understand it's a database and I appreciate your answer, but I am still confused, especially when it comes time to sync.

I would like the database to have the font name removed, while removing it from my hard drive.

Is it possible to have it wysiwyg?
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you select the first option on this dialog? (not the second one, as in the screenshot).

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Zcals Crafts

Post by Zcals Crafts »

hmmm im pretty sure it was the 2nd one

what threw me off was tne "file system" folder thinking it was the windows font directory

im going to restart from fresh so i can keep them in sync

thanks