Question about “Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)” dialog

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
BParkoff

Question about “Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)” dialog

Post by BParkoff »

Hi,

I opened Courier New font file into FontCreator. The contours look smoothly with slope line like letter ‘A’ in the glyph edit. I opened "Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)" dialog from Font menu. The letter ‘A’ in this dialog does not look smoothly, but it looks like pixelated.

Please confirm: is Courier New font older when it was designed in around 1990s? If I want to test Raster font, will “Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)” dialog support to display pixelated font if I modify the existing letter ‘A’ glyph?

Kindly,
Bryan Parkoff
Erwin Denissen

Re: Question about “Test Desktop Font (TTF/OTF)” dialog

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It looks fine here. See the font displayed at point size 64 and 12 at a 200% DPI screen resolution.
TestDesktop.png
TestDesktop.png (62.36 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
Prior to modifying a font, make sure it is allowed by the font license agreement.

If you modify a glyph, hinting data, if any is available, will be lost. The outline then might look different than the other glyphs in the font, especially at small font sizes. You can either use external software to manually hint the modified glyphs, or enable auto hinting on exporting the font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology