[CLOSED] Composite Glyphs Displayed as Simple Contours

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

[CLOSED] Composite Glyphs Displayed as Simple Contours

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

On opening composite glyphs in the glyph edit window, they are shown as simple contours.
Composite Glyph Displayed as Simple Contours.png
Composite Glyph Displayed as Simple Contours.png (117.25 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
There are also no access keys to open the Auto-attach submenu. Access keys D and E work on the submenu to disable or enable auto-attach, but no underlining is shown.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Composite Glyphs Displayed as Simple Contours

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The context menu in the glyph overview has the same issue. D and E work in the Auto-attach submenu, but no access keys are shown. Access key A will open the Auto-attach submenu, but no access key is shown. In the glyph edit window, no access key seems to work to open the submenu.
Auto Attach Submenu in Glyph Overview.png
Auto Attach Submenu in Glyph Overview.png (24.15 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:29 am On opening composite glyphs in the glyph edit window, they are shown as simple contours.
With version 15, the font editor supports hybrid outlines, so you can mix contours and components. With this change in mind, we decided to change the way you edit components. Even though it is not recommended to scale components, it is now possible to do it right within the glyph editor. You can set the other settings through the Transform panel.

We are always open for suggestions in making it even more intuitive.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:29 am There are also no access keys to open the Auto-attach submenu. Access keys D and E work on the submenu to disable or enable auto-attach, but no underlining is shown.
We will add "E" and "D" with the next upcoming release, but I don't see an obvious access key for Auto Attach.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:20 am We will add "E" and "D" with the next upcoming release, but I don't see an obvious access key for Auto Attach.
Use u for Auto Attach. In the Glyph Edit window, y is used by Used by...so use that in the glyph overview too.

BTW. Used by... yields no results for the base glyph a when it is selected in a composite glyph such as á. Is that expected? I would not expect any results for á as it is not used by other composites, but the base glyph a is.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:20 amEven though it is not recommended to scale components, it is now possible to do it right within the glyph editor. You can set the other settings through the Transform panel.
In points mode, no nodes are displayed, until one double-clicks the contour to show it in its source window. There seems to be no easy way to return to the composite glyph window.

If Auto-attach is enabled, the components cannot be scaled or rotated, so perhaps the handles should not be displayed in that case?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:08 am Use u for Auto Attach. In the Glyph Edit window, y is used by Used by...so use that in the glyph overview too.
Consider it done!
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:08 am BTW. Used by... yields no results for the base glyph a when it is selected in a composite glyph such as á. Is that expected? I would not expect any results for á as it is not used by other composites, but the base glyph a is.
The next update will show all glyphs that are used by the selected component(s). If none are selected, then it will just show all glyphs that are used by the glyph.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:17 am In points mode, no nodes are displayed, until one double-clicks the contour to show it in its source window. There seems to be no easy way to return to the composite glyph window.
I totally agree there is room for improvements here, but I am not sure what is best. Any suggestions from other users are welcome.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:17 am If Auto-attach is enabled, the components cannot be scaled or rotated, so perhaps the handles should not be displayed in that case?
Yes, that might be wise.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology