How to test in a graphic program?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Cassel

How to test in a graphic program?

Post by Cassel »

In an old thread viewtopic.php?t=5195&start=15, I mentioned that I was using TheFontThing to access the font I was creating, in my graphic program (PaintShop Pro). The suggestion was to use the FC preview and access the font that way.

Now, I have upgraded FC version and instead of the old version 8, I am using version 14.

I am trying to find a way to use (to test) the font in PaintShop Pro, but the suggestion to use the FC preview does not seem to work, or I am not doing it right.

What is the most effective way to have access to the font I am creating without installing it? And since I occasionally use layered fonts (that are actually two separate fonts that should match perfectly), what do you recommend (other than TheFontThing)?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to test in a graphic program?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not the Font Preview that you need to use, but the Font Test window. Open that, and select the Temporary font in PaintShop Pro (or any other application) to test the font.
Test Current Font.png
Test Current Font.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
Test TTF OTF.png
Test TTF OTF.png (20.73 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

Great! I can see that the font has a different name when I look in my graphic program. That is the "temporary name"?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, it is temporary, so each time you make modifications to your font and open the Font Test dialog, the font has a new unique name to avoid caching issues.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Cassel

Post by Cassel »

Thank you. It works great now.