How can I find fonts containing U+202F?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
xyz

How can I find fonts containing U+202F?

Post by xyz »

We need this character "narrow non-breaking space" for French typography, and for a certain other language, based on French system.

This need comes up again and again in my work-flow. And often it concerns not a technical character but specific sets of rare vowels too.

In the write-up for MainType I read this:
In order to find the right fonts for your needs, the software includes tags, ratings, filter and sort functionality as well as a font information panel that reveals important typographic data.
Sadly, in the help, I cannot find anything about "filter" or "filering", except the one sentence I quoted above. Even searching the help, nothing.

Please instruct on how to create a filter, based on specific glyph(s).

I found something a little related here:
viewtopic.php?p=37035&hilit=filter+glyph#p37035

But I do not care, how the filter works or whether it is about pre-view or somewhere else. I am willing to learn some syntax even. Thank you for any help.
Erwin Denissen

Re: How can I find fonts containing U+202F?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can use the Font List option which shows the text preview in red when the font does not contain all characters from that preview text.

So in your case you could use text which contains some Latin characters along with the narrow non-breaking space:

The narrow non-breaking space between these " " quotation marks.
Red.png
Red.png (542.6 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
xyz

Post by xyz »

Yes, thank you. I found this feature a while ago, maybe in the forum. This is how I can see the fonts.

Now how can I filter them please? I have 12000 fonts on my machine, and 1719 are marked as "active". I would need to create a group or a tag or something. I mean a way to store so that I can always access a certain selection; and "containing U+202F" is an example.

Even better: I have hand-crafted several groups like "suitable for language A" and "suitable to make logo for customer B". That was a lot of work, and only a human can do such groups.

But filtering all fonts according to some technical "element" like containing a certain glyph should be available for automatic handling. Now I would need to filter from those groups:

Only fonts which are in group "suitable for language A" AND containing U+202F.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is no filtering like that. You can manually tag fonts, but we understand that is tedious.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology