Auto-load font folder on startup

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
ABMG

Auto-load font folder on startup

Post by ABMG »

How about an option to select a font folder(s) that would auto-load those fonts on Maintype startup? I do graphic design and I'm constantly opening art files in Illustrator and Photoshop daily. It gets annoying when I have to load several fonts to see the art file displayed properly. An auto-load feature would be super beneficial.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Auto-load font folder on startup

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can add a font folder to MainType's libray and let it periodically synchronize it. Then when it finds new fonts in the folder, MainType will automatically install them.
AutoInstall.png
AutoInstall.png (75.07 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ABMG

Post by ABMG »

Right, but I don't want to install them on the PC, I only need them loaded so I can see and use them for art files.

The previous font organizer I used would load every font in my font folder on startup so I could use them but didn't have to install them. As long as the program was open all those fonts were available. I purchased Maintype thinking it would be an upgrade but because it lacks this feature I'm still using the old font organizer.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ABMG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:15 pm Right, but I don't want to install them on the PC, I only need them loaded so I can see and use them for art files.

The previous font organizer I used would load every font in my font folder on startup so I could use them but didn't have to install them. As long as the program was open all those fonts were available. I purchased Maintype thinking it would be an upgrade but because it lacks this feature I'm still using the old font organizer.
Even though we understand the use of such feature, we think it is a bad practise to load fonts globally without explicit permission from the user. It should not be part of a professional font manager in our opinion. But if more people request this feature, we will certainly consider adding it.

You can always sync a folder, and then click the Load button on the Groups panel. This will load all fonts from that specific folder. Then on closing MainType click the Uninstall button on the Groups panel.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ABMG

Post by ABMG »

Yes, loading from the group's panel is a workaround except when you have more than 5000 fonts in that group Maintype won't load it.

I guess I should have used the trial before buying the pro version, thinking it would be better than what I've been using. Live and learn.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We can increase the limit, so let me know what sounds okay.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ABMG

Post by ABMG »

I have 5,500 fonts so a modest limit increase to 6,000 would work for me. Other users may want more.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have just released an update that increased the number to 25,000.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ABMG

Post by ABMG »

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks.