I'm now going to import character a that I wrote on the coated paper, and scanned in at 600 dpi.
I've set the threshold value to 96, and set the smooth filter to Super. I've set the multiplier (Glyph tab) to 10.
The imported result is shown below:
The imported outline contains 37 points (inner contour 13 points, outer contour 24 points).
That is a very good balance between the number of points, and the quality of the import, especially when you look at some other fonts:
56 points for Arial
39 points for Segoe Print
52 points for Brush Script MT
Now let's compare the imported a with the scanned image. I've loaded the scanned a into the Background image:
You might want display the Background image in a monochrome color, like I've done below:
Now as a final test, I'm going to print the character and compare that with the original handwritten a. The easiest way to print the character, is through FontCreator's Test window (Font -> Test). You may wonder at what font size I have to print the character. Well here is a formula I used:
On paper character a, height 4 mm = 0.16 inch
Scanned at 600 dpi -> 0.16 * 600 = 96 dots (pixels)
Imported into FontCreator with factor 10 -> 960 units
There are 72 points to an inch, so
Point size = Wanted character height on paper * 72 * (units per em / character height in units).
The units per em used in a font, can be retrieved from Format -> Settings, in our case it is 2048, so
Point size = 0.16 inch * 72 * (2048 / 960) = 24.6 = 25
I scanned in the printed a and placed it right to the handwritten a.
I immediately noticed the printed a was slightly larger, so I decided to print it at point size 24 instead of 25. Here is the scanned result:
In case you are interested, here is a scaled down version (16%) of the last scan. On my 19 inch screen (1280 by 1024 pixels) it looks almost the same size as the originals on paper:
I might write a summary of all findings later this month, but right now I'm curious about your comments.