Create a font as symbols

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
exadeci

Create a font as symbols

Post by exadeci »

Hi,

I want to be able to use my modified character, but I it to have is own "format", it will be easier to unersand with an example,

I'm trying to have for example an A but I don't want it to appear when I press A so when I use it in an other program it will still my A and not the A of the program font

Sorry for my bad explanation and english, I hope someone will understand
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Remap a Glyph

Post by Dick Pape »

You want to change the Mapping of the character.

1. Highlight/select your symbol/character. Right click and select Properties at the bottom of the menu.

2. Select the Mappings tab. It will show you the current mapping of the character (perhaps "A" - Latin Capital Letter A, as in your example). Select the value that's there and press Delete to remove the standard mapping for your character.

3. To help you decide how it should be assigned, click on Select. The next menu ("Add Character to Glyph Index Mapping") will show a table of Characters with Value, Glyph and Name columns. Find a Glyph entry which has no assignment (ignore the ones labeled <control>) and that you want to use on the keyboard. Select that line and click OK. It will add that map to your character.

4. If you cannot find one to use change the "Unicode Blocks" at the top of that menu and look for the right combination of empty Glyphs and available keyboard entries.

5. Enter the new mapping for each platform that has been previously setup.

6. If there is no available keyboard key, you can assign a map which would use a combination of keys as Alt + 0nnn such as Alt+0211 for Ó, Alt+203 for Ë. These are the Values from the Mapping table.

D Pape
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Changing

Post by Dave Crosby »

Simple guys like me require simple solutions.

Start a new font:
File > New > type in the name you want, select Symbol.
The mapping is already done for the full font.

If you have already started your font, you could open both fonts and copy each glyph from the old one and paste it into the new one.

Easier is to make the old font the Sample:

Tools > Options > Sample and open the folder containing the old font and select it. Open.
Leave the selection blank to return to the original High-Logic samples.

It now occupies the boxes down the left side of the screen.
Just open a glyph editing window and click on whatever glyph you want. It will turn blue. Click again and hold it, then drag it into the editing window. It will snap into the position from the X-Y origin it occupied in in the previous font.

On the other hand, if you just want to add one letter to a standard font, use Insert > Glyphs, and Dicks answer.
Aut nunc aut nunquam