"Preview" box displays all characters as "not

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Love_Your_Eyes

"Preview" box displays all characters as "not

Post by Love_Your_Eyes »

I have a font that works just fine except that in the "Preview" box it displays the "notdef" rectangle for all characters. Can anybody take the time to tell me what is going on?

Thanks for your time,
Ken
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

By “The Preview Box” do you mean the Preview Toolbar (shortcut F8 ) or the Font Test Window (shortcut F5)?

Either way, try changing the sample text. If you're still getting only boxes then the characters are probably not mapped. Start a new font and cut and paste the glyphs to the right place would probably be the quickest and easiest way to fix the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I do not remember having used the Preview Toolbar before, but have just tried it now.

The characters previewed in the toolbar were the following.

×ØÙÚÛÝÞàáâãåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõ÷øùúûýþÿ

So, a particular font which has only A..Z and a..z together with figures and some punctuation and which displays with no .notdef glyphs showing in fontviewer might well nonetheless display only many copies of the .notdef glyph in the Preview Toolbar if only the ×ØÙÚÛÝÞàáâãåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõ÷øùúûýþÿ characters are in the upper box of the Preview Toolbar.

For example, if the following font is downloaded to the local PC and the same test tried with the Preview Toolbar, do you get the same effect as with the original font, except that the notdef glyphs are of a different design and that the þ character is present?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/GRTBEARR.TTF

William Overington

2 April 2008