Losing Bold Information?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
RDdice

Losing Bold Information?

Post by RDdice »

Ok try this. Open up Tahoma. Resave it. Tahoma is 374k, when saved the new tahoma is 309k. Where did the 65k go?

When testing the saved version next to the regular Tahoma, the bold is much weaker, so i'm thinking it's stripping out any bold information when saving it out.

How does one keep this extra bolding information or get a fatter bold?

Thanks for the help.

-Dice
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

As I recall, this is a Hinted font.

Opening and saving the font using FC would strip out the hinting information , thereby changing which additional pixels will be turned on in specific situations, and is probably where the loss in font size occurred.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Dave Crosby wrote:Opening and saving the font using FC would strip out the hinting information.
Merely resaving won't normally strip out hinting info. Only modifying the glyphs will strip hinting from those glyphs, not from others. Stripping the hinting data would reduce fhe file size by half, not just by 65K.

Check the "H" in the top left corner of the rulers to see if hinting is still there for individual glyphs. Merely opening and resaving a font does reduce the file size as some Font Tables are compressed or removed. I don't know the significance of these tables that are not supported by FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Some tables might be removed when you open a font with FontCreator. It all depends on the tables available in the font, and the settings on the Font tab of the Options dialog.

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin, your screenshot is the same as my options dialogue, but it is different to the one in the manual and help. IIRC there has been a change in FC5.6 regarding which tables are removed by default.

I notice a difference in the horizontal position in the MainType Sample Toolbar between Tahoma Bold and the same font saved from FontCreator 5.6 without any other changes.
Tahoma Bold.png
Tahoma Bold.png (14.03 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
TahomaNew Bold.png
TahomaNew Bold.png (15.43 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486