Question About Contours

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
geekzoid

Question About Contours

Post by geekzoid »

I am also totally new at using this software; I have been wanting to have a font of my cursive handwriting. When I try to insert contours, they come out with points. Is there a way to make them more rounded?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

To make curved contours, you need off-curve points. Select a node and press shortcut F to make it off-curve, then drag it. Right-click on a node to see other options. For geometric fonts one can use the ellipse and rectangle tools on the Drawing toolbar to make contours quickly.

However, try scanning your letters and then importing them as graphics. This will be much quicker for a cursive script.

Importing Images.

I scan a whole alphabet then import one letter at a time by selecting it in Irfan View, copying it to the clipboard, then pasting it into the appropriate glyph window in FontCreator.

See Scanning an Entire Alphabet

You could also try Scanahand, but FontCreator will give you a lot more control over the final design of the font, though it will also take a lot more effort to learn to use.

If you have some artistic skill, with patience you can get great results
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Question About Contours

Post by William »

geekzoid wrote:When I try to insert contours, they come out with points. Is there a way to make them more rounded?
Please try clicking on a point of an existing contour, so as to highlight the point. Press f on the keyboard. This makes the point "off-curve". Pressing n on the keyboard makes the point "on-curve" again.

When drawing a new contour using the mouse unit, left-clicking adds an on-curve point and right-clicking adds an off-curve point, though the first point of a contour comes out on-curve anyway.

I hope that this helps.

William Overington

6 May 2008