Creating fronts based on images instead of converting images to contours

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
jorbjo

Creating fronts based on images instead of converting images to contours

Post by jorbjo »

I would like to be able to create fonts based on images like this:
P.png
P.png (680.77 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
When I import this image, I get the following result as my character:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (197.7 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
The letter has been converted to a black and white outline, and it is the wrong size to fit within the caption height, I would like to have options so it would import like this:
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (176.32 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Here the original image is preserved, so I keep the wooden texture of the original image. The glyph has been resized to fit within baseline and CapHeight and the character has been adjusted to fit the imported glyph. When I use this new font I would like to retain the wooden texture within word or on a webpage and when I print it out then I want it preserved as well and i get a result similar to this:
Wooden Heart.jpg
Wooden Heart.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4999 times
Is this possible to achieve with Font Creator? Could you add an Import function, so the image is preserved as is, instead of being converted to a contour? I have the latest Font Creator 15.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Creating fronts based on images instead of converting images to contours

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Adding support for photo fonts would, I suspect, be a major undertaking.

One can create Multi-coloured fonts, but it would be quite labour-intensive to use a lot of colours.

Adjusting the import scaling is possible using FontCreator’s Options, in Tools, Options, Exchange. Most glyphs would have to be adjusted for position, as some might overshoot the CapHeight and Baseline by different amounts. Recalculating the font metrics after all design work is done will make the glyphs fit within WinAscent and WinDescent.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486