Freezing up constantly while scrolling

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ConnieR.

Freezing up constantly while scrolling

Post by ConnieR. »

I have Maintype 11, and on my Windows 10 computer when I try to scroll through all my 3300 fonts (680 active), it constantly freezes up. I figured out that it freezes in the E's, G's, R's, S's and W's. Especially the R's and S's. This happened a couple years ago on my Windows 7 laptop, but then all of a sudden it resolved itself and it's been fine since. I don't know if I deleted a particular font, or what. But I printed a list of the fonts on my old and new systems, and except for some of the fonts that come with Windows, both lists are the same.
Following the suggestion in an old thread, I checked the registry editor, and there are no entries. When I run MainType in Safe Mode, it doesn't freeze up, but I don't see any font previews, so I can't keep it in Safe mode when I'm trying to use it!
I must have some bad fonts, but how do I narrow it down? Even though it's only 5 letters, it's several hundred fonts. I ran the registry fixer in Maintype, and it didn't find or fix anything.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Freezing up constantly while scrolling

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Recently we had a similar issue, but here it was due to some corrupt fonts.

We discovered it, as on our system we did notice them inside the registry.

In your case it is most likely due to one or more fonts that contain very complex glyph outlines, e.g. with a huge number of contours and nodes.

We suggest you use the divide and conquer method to see what fonts are causing problems.

Since both Windows and MainType use a cache, it might be a little tricky to discover the exact fonts, so to make sure restar5t MainType and then open a specific group of fonts to see if the freezing occurs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: Freezing up constantly while scrolling

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In case the provided suggestions do not solve the issue, then it is also possible there is a quirk in MainType 11. As we continuously improve the software, we have made several changes and implemented bug fixes to version 12, so maybe upgrading solves the issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology