MainType sees more fonts than applications do

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
e645824

MainType sees more fonts than applications do

Post by e645824 »

I am having problems with fonts on Windows 10. I purchased MainType to address these problems.

When I run MainType 12.0.0.1297 64-bit, it indicates 699 fonts and the MainType Registry Fixer says that there are 0 issues. In the MainType list, none of the fonts are red dots (I have 696 green dots and 3 blue dots).

When I look in my C:\Windows\FONTS directory using the command line, I have:
64 *.otf files
877 *.ttf files
287 *_0.ttf files
63 *.fon files.

If I add these up and subtract the *_0.ttf files, I get 717. This is close to 699 so it seems reasonable.

However, in my applications I only have access to a couple hundred fonts. I tried Microsoft Word, Notepad, and OpenOffice Writer; they all show the same limited number of fonts. And when I open C:\Windows\FONTS it says that there are only 190 fonts.

I have attached two screenshots. The first shows the MainType screen with the fonts towards the beginning of the list. The second screenshot shows what the applications and what Windows sees. A swath of fonts in the "A" section are missing.

How do I get all of my missing fonts to be listed in any of the applications' font lists?

Thank you,

Scott
Attachments
screenshot2.png
screenshot2.png (75.69 KiB) Viewed 13331 times
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (367.83 KiB) Viewed 13331 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType sees more fonts than applications do

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType shows all font styles, while Word shows them by font family.

To have a similar behaviour in MainType, toggle the Family Grouping toolbar button.

Note, that MainType also supports variable fonts, while other software might have limited support for them.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
e645824

Post by e645824 »

Thanks, but I'm not trying to make MainType look like everything else. The problem I'm having is that I am not seeing most of my fonts in my applications. I tried this in Word, Notepad, and OpenOffice Writer. They only see 190 fonts. And the Windows font system has the same problem (screenshot3.png below). The good news is that MainType sees all of them so I know that they are valid fonts. And all of my fonts are in C:\Windows\FONTS

For example, Windows shows AntiquaStd, Archaic, Arial. But MainType correctly shows my 14 fonts that are between AntiquaStd and Arial. So there is something wrong with my Windows font system or Windows font cache. I have hundreds of missing fonts like this. But the MainType Registry Fixer says that there are 0 issues.

Another example is up at the top of the font list. Akzidenz Grotesk isn't seen in Windows but MainType sees it and says that everything is fine. This is screenshot4.png and screenshot5.png

Is there a setting to make Registry Fixer more aggressive? Does MainType actually compare against the fonts that Windows thinks that it sees? I need to see my fonts in my applications.

Thank you,

Scott
Attachments
screenshot5.png
screenshot5.png (315.8 KiB) Viewed 13281 times
screenshot4.png
screenshot4.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 13282 times
screenshot3.png
screenshot3.png (785.48 KiB) Viewed 13282 times
Last edited by e645824 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
e645824

Post by e645824 »

Since MainType isn't working, what is the process for me to get a refund for my $79 ?

Thank you,

Scott Nelson
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

e645824 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 pm For example, Windows shows AntiquaStd, Archaic, Arial. But MainType correctly shows my 14 fonts that are between AntiquaStd and Arial. So there is something wrong with my Windows font system or Windows font cache. I have hundreds of missing fonts like this. But the MainType Registry Fixer says that there are 0 issues.
As I told you before, your Windows fonts dialog groups all 14 Archaic. Just click the font in your Windows fonts settings dialog and you will see all 14 typefaces.
e645824 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 pm Another example is up at the top of the font list. Akzidenz Grotesk isn't seen in Windows but MainType sees it and says that everything is fine. This is screenshot4.png and screenshot5.png
I don't know why Akzidenz is not shown by Windows, so clearly something is wrong with your system.

Sometimes it helps to open C:\Windows\Fonts in a Windows file explorer, as it sometimes triggers to flush Windows fonts cache and rebuild the internal font list. If that does not help, then maybe one or more fonts are corrupt, but this is just wild guessing.
e645824 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:56 am Since MainType isn't working, what is the process for me to get a refund for my $79 ?
It seems Windows and Word are not properly showing fonts, so why do you blame MainType?

You could try to uninstall Akzidenz from within MainType and the reinstall it within MainType, to see if that makes it available in Word, etc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
e645824

Post by e645824 »

Thank you for the advice, but it doesn't work. For example, there is only one Archaic font; the other 13 aren't accessible:
screenshot6.png
screenshot6.png (38.31 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
Opening \Windows\FONTS in explorer didn't help.

And Word has the same issue that Notepad has; it can only access 1 of the 14 font faces:
screenshot8.png
screenshot8.png (39.15 KiB) Viewed 12375 times

Akzidenz Grotesk isn't in the Settings Fonts list either:
screenshot7.png
screenshot7.png (691.55 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
I manually deleted the Akzidenz Grotesk font from the \Windows\FONTS directory using the command prompt (since that is the only way that I can see it other than using MainType) and then I reinstalled it. MainType still shows it but it isn't accessible to any other Windows applications.

So MainType can correctly see all of these fonts, but the MainType Register Fixer can't fix the error. Is there any other way for MainType to fix font problems? If not, then I'd like a refund.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

e645824 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 pm Another example is up at the top of the font list. Akzidenz Grotesk isn't seen in Windows but MainType sees it and says that everything is fine. This is screenshot4.png and screenshot5.png
I guess it is named slightly different, namely:

Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk

It is a font from 1999 and the naming fields are ambiguous.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology