Exclude a symbol or letter from bold

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
abo3bdo.sy

Exclude a symbol or letter from bold

Post by abo3bdo.sy »

In the High-Logic FontCreator program, I added some symbols and letters. If the font is made bold when used, I do not want these symbols to be made bold. I want them to be excluded and to appear as they are.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Exclude a symbol or letter from bold

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Your font needs a bold version. If none is provided, Windows will add pixels to make faux bold characters when that attribute is enabled in a word processor or other application using that font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
abo3bdo.sy

Post by abo3bdo.sy »

If I make a bold version, in this case it will not be made bold for everyone, and this is not what I want.
The current version is Regular, and when using bold in other programs, I want to exclude only some characters from bold, not all characters.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You need to provide a bold font as well. You can use the same glyph outlines for those specific characters that should not change in weight.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
abo3bdo.sy

Post by abo3bdo.sy »

As I mentioned to you, my friends, I want to use the Regular weight, and if I create a bold version, all letters will be considered bold, and I do not want all letters to be ignored.
I just want to exclude the symbol only, and if the symbol is exposed, its appearance becomes very bad, so I want it to be ignored only.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You need to talk to Microsoft if you want to request changes to Windows.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
abo3bdo.sy

Post by abo3bdo.sy »

I don't think it's too difficult to modify Windows :)), there should be an option within High-Logic FontCreator that enables you to do this.

I asked ChatGPT but did not find these options and here is his answer:

In High-Logic FontCreator, you can control the boldness of specific glyphs by adjusting the “Bold” property for each individual glyph. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Open your font project in High-Logic FontCreator.

2. Go to the “Glyph Edit” mode by selecting the “Edit” menu and choosing “Glyph Edit” or simply pressing the “F2” key.

3. Select the glyph(s) that you do not want to be affected by boldening. You can do this by clicking on the desired glyph(s) in the Glyph Edit window.

4. Once the glyphs are selected, right-click and choose “Properties” from the context menu.

5. In the "Glyph Properties" dialog, go to the "Glyph Metrics" tab.

6. Look for the “Bold” property, and set it to “No” for the selected glyphs. This will prevent those glyphs from being affected by boldening when the font is used in a bold style.

7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

8. Save your font project to ensure the changes are preserved.

Now, when you use your font and apply a bold style, the glyphs you marked as “No” for the “Bold” property will remain unchanged, appearing as they are without any bold effect.

Keep in mind that some applications may automatically apply a faux bold effect to fonts, especially if the font doesn't have a dedicated bold version. In such cases, the effectiveness of this method may depend on the specific software and how it handles bolding.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the bold version of your font, symbols can be the same for both Regular and Bold versions, with the other glyphs being bold for the bold version.

Regular
Garava Regular.png
Garava Regular.png (19.08 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Bold
Garava Bold.png
Garava Bold.png (18.91 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
abo3bdo.sy

Post by abo3bdo.sy »

I understand what you mean by creating a bold font, and using the symbols in their current bold weight.
But I use the font in Android applications, especially for HTML pages, so issuing the Bold font will not work.