Is it possible - different heights for glyphs?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bry

Is it possible - different heights for glyphs?

Post by Bry »

Hi. I am a hopeless beginner with no font training or experience, so I do apologise for my lack of knowledge. I've searched as much as I can to avoid bothering everyone with inane questions, but I can't find a definitive answer to my problem.

I am making a set of dignbats to make vertical and horizonal lines to mimic a scrapbook template. I want to be able to use them in an Android PDF annotaion app that doesn't have any capability to line up lines or objects, and my previous experience with dingbats gave me the idea to use a font to make sure all the lines lined and were spaced in a predictable way.

I am using a left top corner, top horizontal, right top corner, and upright, and left bottom, bottom horizontal, and bottom right corner. I've attached an image to illustrate the different components.

In the image, they have spaces and blank lines in between to clearly show them. I actually will be joining them as per the attachment that is labelled 'Desired end result'
Screenshot 2024-04-22 220310.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 220310.png (37.09 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Desired end restult.png
Desired end restult.png (75.79 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I currently have 2 vertical glyphs, one on the left and one on the right. The way I've currently designed it, one of them is shorter than the other glyphs which would allow me to have the option to make a square white space, but it doesn't join vertically as there is space above it. The other is the same height as the other glyphs and joins to them well, but it means that the white space bordered by the lines is no long square.

I don't think it is possible to make oen or more glyphs different height to the rest, but I just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

My hack if I can't change the height for individual glyphs would be to create 2 fonts and simply change between them when I'm doing the vertical part of the square each time.

Thank you in advance for your help.