How do you invoke the Knife tool?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Chris Hutchinson

How do you invoke the Knife tool?

Post by Chris Hutchinson »

Using FontCreator Professional Edition v5.5 (build 5.5.0.0.80).

I've seen reference to the Knife tool in a number of the existing posts.

The manual also refers to it ("Use the Knife feature to split contours") as being available in both contour and point mode.

Although I can find the Union, Intersection and Exclusion items (via the Join Contours item on the Edit menu), I can't seem to do anything to make the Knife option available!

What am I missing?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The knife tool is on the Drawing Toolbar between the measuring tool and the Zoom in tool.

If you are currently editing a composite glyph it will be greyed out, otherwise it will be available. You must make composite glyphs simple before you can cut the contours.

Hold down shift to constrain the knife's cutting direction. It stays selected after cutting to allow multiple cuts. Select the selection tool when you have finished cutting to select contours for joining.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Chris Hutchinson

Post by Chris Hutchinson »

Thank you!

I'd been looking for a menu item with Knife in the name, or a toolbar entry with Knife in the ToolTip, without success (because it's called "Cut contour").