how do i edit the preview font properties?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jim-bill

how do i edit the preview font properties?

Post by jim-bill »

How do I edit the preview font properties?

The Quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs!!

thanks in advance
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Preview Text

Post by Dave Crosby »

Click on "Sample Text" at the top of the window and select whatever you want. Copy whatever appears on the screen and paste to the next one (or copy from some other location) or type in whatever you like.

If you like what you have, copy it to the clipboard before testing other selections or you will have to type it all in again.

Also, you can open your word processor and change the font to Font Creator Test Font + a random generated number and check it out there.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Select individual glyphs or a range of glyphs in the Overview window, and press the shortcut "P" to preview those glyphs in the Preview toolbar. Unlike the font test window, the Preview Toolbar will show kerning.

If you don't want to lose your Font Test text, browse to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\FontCreator

and make a copy of previewtext.dat
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Text

Post by Dave Crosby »

Is there a way to alter samples (to be re-selected later) or add new samples to the sample text list?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not that I know of.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jim-bill

Re: Preview Text

Post by jim-bill »

Dave Crosby wrote:Click on "Sample Text" at the top of the window and select whatever you want. Copy whatever appears on the screen and paste to the next one (or copy from some other location) or type in whatever you like.

If you like what you have, copy it to the clipboard before testing other selections or you will have to type it all in again.

Also, you can open your word processor and change the font to Font Creator Test Font + a random generated number and check it out there.
thank you for you reply
i am running font creator 5.6 and cant find a sample text at the top of the window however there is a sample window on view/tool/sample and also preview.......

may be i have been misunder stood
I am wanting to change the preview sentence ""the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs"

my font is asian but i get "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs" as the perview on the compiled font.

for eg: when a user clicks on the completed .ttf file they see English text
"the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs...

Iwant to change this to the actual asian font im using.

going back to your answer i am still pondring over it..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have a font called Mike Hebrew, which shows a different preview text: "Jackdaws love my big spinx of quartz. 1234567890"
Localized versions of Microsoft Windows use different sample texts when viewing local language fonts, depending on the combination of locale settings and supported code page table in the font being viewed. The feature was debuted in English versions of Windows beginning with Windows ME, where the alternative message is Windows Millennium Edition. In Windows XP, the alternative message is changed to Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz. 123456890.

In Windows Vista, the alternative phrase no longer exists in the English font viewer, but the alternative localized string feature is still available. In addition, new alternative phrases are introduced for localized Windows releases.
From Wikipedia
The code pages in your font can be calculated from Format, Settings, Ranges, Code Pages, Calculate. The font that users see will depend on their Windows Locale. I guess that if they're using a Chinese Locale, they will see Chinese text in the preview.