Changing fonts to be able to lasercut them

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
frank_be

Changing fonts to be able to lasercut them

Post by frank_be »

Can somebody show me how to alter an existing font for easier lasercutting?

For example the letter "O"
Imagine that the black of the letter is being cut away out of a metalsheet. That means that the center of the "O" will come loose. To prevent this from happening I would like to add two "legs" to connect the innerpart to the outside surrounding white-or better the metal sheet.

If this can be done easily in Fontcreator, I wil buy this program for shure.

Greetings,
Frank
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Laser Cutds

Post by Dick Pape »

If this fits your need, it is very simple to do:
The was a typical thin Oh. I used the knife (Cut contours) to slice horizontally two times and then deleted the highlighted parts.

There really is no "inner part" There are two concentric circles (in this Oh) -- an outer black one and inner white one. They will not fall away in the sheet metal tradition.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Another method is to draw a long thin rectangle, and use "Get Exclusion of contours."

Both the knife and the advanced contour operations are available in the 30-day free trial (which is the Professional version), but not in the Home Edition.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Good Thought

Post by Dick Pape »

Yes that's better as you can form the rectangle and copy/paste it to every glyph and it will end up in the same location throughout.

Never have used Exclusion. But then again never tried lasering a font either.
frank_be

Re: Laser Cutds

Post by frank_be »

Dick Pape wrote:If this fits your need, it is very simple to do:
The was a typical thin Oh. I used the knife (Cut contours) to slice horizontally two times and then deleted the highlighted parts.

There really is no "inner part" There are two concentric circles (in this Oh) -- an outer black one and inner white one. They will not fall away in the sheet metal tradition.
YES that's what I'm looking for!

How exactly do you delete the cut parts? What button?
The exlude function is active in the trial version but doesn't seem to work... I must be doing something wrong here.

I think the edit I need is really simple to do, but I can't figure out the workflow... :oops:

Greetings,
Frank
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Start with an O. That is, an outer clockwise contour and an inner counterclockwise contour.

Now, draw another contour, such as a rectangle, across them. This could be drawn using Insert Contour... facility and positioning the points one by one; or, for a rectangle the contour could be drawn directly using the Add rectangle tool which is in one of the toolbars.

There are now three contours.

Use the following.

Edit Select All

Edit Join Contours Exclusion

There are now five contours, though the design may look the same.

Click on the background to clear the highlighting.

Click in the upper part (or left part if the rectangle is horizontal) of what looks like a rectangle and press the delete button on the keyboard.

Click in the lower part (or right part if the rectangle is horizontal) of what looks like a rectangle and press the delete button on the keyboard.

Click in the middle part of what looks like a rectangle and press the delete button on the keyboard.

This should produce the desired design of letter O.

William Overington

10 March 2008
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Boy, that's exactly how I did it, but with a smaller less distinctive Oh ... Thanks BP.

DP
frank_be

Post by frank_be »

Thanks very much !!!

Greetings,
Frank