Font Name Issue (New and "Improved")

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Shinzakura

Font Name Issue (New and "Improved")

Post by Shinzakura »

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I just created a font in FontCreator, and testing it out, I found that the font name does not work exactly perfect. While I understand that other people have had font name issues, mine seems to be a little different.

While testing out the font, it works outstanding in Microsoft-based products (Office, Expressions, etc.), it doesn't seem to be coming up in other places (it does not appear in Photoshop, Thunderbird, etc.) or it comes up in odd places (in Illustrator, it shows up in fonts starting with R).

I've tried all the previous answers and solutions mentioned, and I still can't get it to work. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Font Name Issue (New and "Improved")

Post by Dave Crosby »

Shinzakura wrote:Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I just created a font in FontCreator, and testing it out, I found that the font name does not work exactly perfect. While I understand that other people have had font name issues, mine seems to be a little different.

While testing out the font, it works outstanding in Microsoft-based products (Office, Expressions, etc.), it doesn't seem to be coming up in other places (it does not appear in Photoshop, Thunderbird, etc.) or it comes up in odd places (in Illustrator, it shows up in fonts starting with R).

I've tried all the previous answers and solutions mentioned, and I still can't get it to work. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I take it that your new font name does NOT begin with R?
  • 1. I know that many applications have their preferred fonts packaged and go to them first.
    2. Some applications will access only fonts that have been Panosed.
    3. Others want only fonts that are mono-spaced.
    4. Some characters are not acceptable in naming fields.
Perhaps one or more of the above is the problem?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Shinzakura

Re: Font Name Issue (New and "Improved")

Post by Shinzakura »

Dave Crosby wrote:I take it that your new font name does NOT begin with R?
  • 1. I know that many applications have their preferred fonts packaged and go to them first.
    2. Some applications will access only fonts that have been Panosed.
    3. Others want only fonts that are mono-spaced.
    4. Some characters are not acceptable in naming fields.
Perhaps one or more of the above is the problem?
Heh, I probably should have been a bit more clear. It starts with an E. :oops:

In any case, while some of these applications might apply, it shouldn't apply to the Adobe Creative Suite programs, where any font can be inserted and used within the applications. Monospacing isn't an issue, as full control of kerning comes with these programs. I've also gone over the naming fields time and time again to see what I can do to improve things, so far, with no success. I also PANOSEd the file even before I tested it, as at the time I'd thought it would be beneficial.

I've also had a few other people try the font out on their systems and they're reporting the same problems, so I figure that it's not just my system.