Drop down font selection menu in Microsoft Word 2003 problem

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Froberg

Drop down font selection menu in Microsoft Word 2003 problem

Post by Froberg »

Hello.

My Boss has just purchased a license for Font Creator, as he asked me to do a FONT for the graphics department with washing symbols.

I have now done so, and I think it looks really neat. However, there is one problem.

The name of the font is "Wash 4". It's to replace older versions that were done a few years back.
It works fine, and looks great inside word - at higher sizes any way. However the text in the drop-down selection menu is in the fonts own style, not like windings where there's actual readable text. This is not a problem for me, it will however be a major problem for the design department, and it'll cause a lot of grief unless it's fixed.
I tried checking my settings against the common MS fonts like Wingdings and others with special symbols - yet a readable formatting on the drop down menu, and apart from me not having any copyright information - they appear quite similar.

I've checked the help file, I've tried copying my work on to another font (Arial) without any success at all.

So, now I turn to you. I hope a purchase of the application is enough for a little bit of support ;)
Here's a picture of the issue:

I tried searching for the problem, but I couldn't find anything. I've searched on google as well.

If this has already been answered to death, then I do apologize. I am just that desperate for a solution.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

For symbol fonts Microsoft Word displays these characters: AbCdEfGhIj. So you need to make sure your font is a Symbol font. You can change your Unicode font to a Symbol font, or make a new Symbol font and then copy all outlines from your existing font. I recommend you create a new Symbol font.

Create a Symbol Font
• File -> New -> type in the name you want, select Symbol.
• Copy and paste glyphs from your old font to the new one.

Change Unicode Font to Symbol Font
• From the Platform Manager command (Format menu) select the Microsoft platform. Now press the Change button. The platform should be changed from "Microsoft Unicode BMP only" to "Microsoft Symbol".
• In the Settings window (Format menu) on the Classification tab set the PANOSE - Family Kind to "Pictorial", PANOSE - Weight to "No Fit", PANOSE - Contrast to "No Fit" and the Font-family - Class to "Symbolic".
• In the Settings window (Format menu) on the Ranges tab no Unicode Character Ranges should be selected and Symbol Character Set should be the only selected Code Page Range.

When you make a change to a font that has already been used by Word, you might have to delete the Office font cache to ensure it is rebuild with the updated font. More info here:
viewtopic.php?p=6212

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Froberg

Post by Froberg »

I followed your recommendation, and have started on a new symbol font.

It's tough remapping all the characters, but the end result will be worth it. My preliminary tests indicate that it performs as it should, with a preview in regular letters and some font examples. Like wingdings.

However, when I select it it writes a "1" that cannot be removed. No matter what.

Here's a picture:

As you can see I typed in 1 through 9. I cannot remove the last "1" in the line. It's just not possible. If I remove it the instant it appears, before writing any text, it just reverts the font style back to times new roman.

Other than that, your suggestion appears to be working. However, I won't do any more work on the font until I have a resolution for this problem - as when we have to do washing labels - one permanent label is just a no-go.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

As you can see I typed in 1 through 9.
I can't see what you typed, it could be anything.

Actually it looks like you pasted outlines to the space glyph. Always skip the first four glyphs, as those are reserved.

To see what characters are behind the Symbol mappings, right-click on the Glyph Overview window and then select Caption -> Symbol Chars.

Do let us know if this helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Froberg

Post by Froberg »

Here's my Font Creator window:
http://www.myupload.dk/showfile/702659720b.JPG/

With the old in in back, and the new in symbol style like you suggested (v.1.0) in front.

All that's changed is that now it used the ".notdef" character instead of the symbol that's on #1.

I'll show you the properties settings I've made for #1 so you can see if there's a problem there.

Let me know if there's anything else you need. I tried showing the application to a coworker just now, and he just looked like his brain melted.

Thanks for helping, mate.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Drop down font selection menu in Microsoft Word 2003 pro

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Froberg wrote:My Boss has just purchased a license for Font Creator, as he asked me to do a FONT for the graphics department with washing symbols.
The screenshot from your last post indicates you're not using the latest version of FontCreator. Please install the last version.
I tried showing the application to a coworker just now, and he just looked like his brain melted.
Please send me the font file as well as proof of the registration, and I'll look into this problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Froberg

Post by Froberg »

Sorry for the delay, I was out supporting co-workers. I've sent you an e-mail with the relevant information.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for sending the requested information.

The mappings where still Unicode related. I suspect you used the Paste Special feature. Next time just use the general paste feature. I've made a new font, that is now waiting in your inbox. Do reply here about the results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Froberg

Post by Froberg »

I'm afraid I'll need more assistance.

I tried copy-pasting like you suggested.. just ctrl+c - ctrl +v...

Unfortunately.. only a handful of symbols actually work after that. I am quite surprised that the one you did does, since it doesn't depict which characters the various icons are set to.
It still works in Word though, which is excellent. How'd you accomplish that?

I actually wasn't aware there was a "Paste Special" feature. Please let me know how to get a similar result to yours, in a bit more detail. There's nothing like learning something new.

I really do appreciate your help, and I'm sure the boss does as well.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote:To see what characters are behind the Symbol mappings, right-click on the Glyph Overview window and then select Caption -> Symbol Chars.
That should really help, as it shows the characters behind each glyph.

If you still have problems, do send me your latest attempt and I'll look into it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

How did you create your new symbol font? From your screenshot posted above it seems that the empty glyphs don't have any postscript names and perhaps also have no mappings. You should not need to add postscript names or mappings, they should be already there when you create a new symbol font. All you need to do is paste the glyph outlines.

Right-click in the font overview window, select Caption, and select Symbol Chars, or Macintosh mappings too show the mappings.

You don't need to use paste special at the moment. With Paste Special, Control E, you can select which glyph properties you wish to paste.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Froberg

Post by Froberg »

Aaah, I think I got it now. I couldn't see any name, so I just put them in wherever. With that caption overview I can actually see what they're mapped out to!

Excellent guys!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit; It works! Thank GOD! :D

Thanks guys.