Some letters looking different

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
A_Schwarz

Some letters looking different

Post by A_Schwarz »

Hi.
I'm not sure if this topic is already on this board, but but I didn't found any solution.

I change an exiting font into a bold version. Some inner curves are crossing, but that doesn't matter, because I use it for an cutting plotter.

My problem is, that some letter appear different in my layout program than in font creator!

I will attach two screenshots to exemplify the problem.
In FontCreator it looks alright, in the cutting file it is totally different :?: Especially the left upper end of the "n".
This occurs also in other letters

How can I solve these problems?
Attachments
Layout Program
Layout Program
Screenshot CorelDraw.jpg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Font Creator
Font Creator
Screenshot Fontcreator.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Some letters looking different

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A_Schwarz wrote:I change an exiting font into a bold version. Some inner curves are crossing, but that doesn't matter, because I use it for an cutting plotter.

My problem is, that some letter appear different in my layout program than in font creator!
The outlines look clearly different. Did you change the font into bold version through FontCreator, or through your layout program?

If you did it through FontCreator, then you didn't show the screenshot of the bold version, but I guess you then have to manually fix specific areas of your outlines.

If it was done in the third party software, then you'll have to see if you can fix it there.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
A_Schwarz

Post by A_Schwarz »

I did it with FontCreator.

What bothers me is, why does Windows interprets the changed font not right.

Actually, the possibility to change this font (President) was years ago the reason for me to buy FontCreator.

I tried on the "n" to repair it. I did it like this:

First I change the font into a vector curve, smoothened the upper end of the n, exported is as eps, imported it in FC, saved the changes, and installed it with FC.
After reopening the file, the outline was like before.
In FC I see no possibility to change the outline, because it is rightly displayed.

Very strange :shock:

If you think, it will help, I will take an other trie on the president font
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

A_Schwarz wrote:First I change the font into a vector curve, smoothened the upper end of the n, exported is as eps, imported it in FC, saved the changes, and installed it with FC.
After reopening the file, the outline was like before.
In FC I see no possibility to change the outline, because it is rightly displayed.
The thing I immediately noticed from your screenshot is that the problem area of the 'n' has red warning points, indicating redundant points or (more likely) off-curve extreme coordinates. Try fixing the errors via the buttons on the Validation toolbar (F7).
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A_Schwarz wrote:I did it with FontCreator.
And are you sure the second image from your initial post is taken from that changed font?

When I overlay them, it looks like this.
overlayed.png
overlayed.png (119.4 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
I'm puzzled. How does it look in Microsoft Word?

You have not accidentally used a faux bold version?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
A_Schwarz

Post by A_Schwarz »

In Word 2007 it is the same.

What do you mean with "faux bold version". Sorry, but I'm german speaking.

Should I send you the original font file to test it?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A_Schwarz wrote:IWhat do you mean with "faux bold version". Sorry, but I'm german speaking.
A faux bold version is a bold font that Windows generates when you apply the bold attribute to a font that has no bold type style. "Faux" is French, meaning “false.” The new font is generated from the regular outline by adding some pixels. When published to PDF, “faux” fonts are converted to curves, and bloat the file, so try to avoid applying bold or italic attributes to text that uses fonts without the corresponding bold and/or italic styles.

Arial Black, for example, is a Regular font style without a Bold style. There is an Italic style, but that is not always installed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A_Schwarz wrote:In Word 2007 it is the same.

What do you mean with "faux bold version". Sorry, but I'm german speaking.

Should I send you the original font file to test it?
Yes, do send it to us.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
A_Schwarz

Post by A_Schwarz »

Here are both. The original and my own bold version.
Attachments
PRESDNTN Bold.ttf
The bold version
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
PRESDNTN.TTF
The original font
(37.25 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The top left ascender of the lowercase n has an intersecting co-ordinates. If you move the off-curve point that the cursor is pointing to below the on-curve point below it, that will fix that problem. The lowercase l has a similar problem.
Attachments
Intersecting co-ordinates.png
Intersecting co-ordinates.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The original font is pretty old, and has several settings which are no longer recommended. I think Windows refuses to think the two fonts are from the same family due to some parts of the original font.

I suggest you do uninstall the original version, to see if that forces Windows to use your new bold version. If that indeed solves the issue, then I suggest you just open and save the original font with FontCreator, and install that version.

Another possibility might be a third font which is used. A font manager might help detect this.

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
A_Schwarz

Post by A_Schwarz »

Hello.

With your help I found the reason. I had made another instance of the font, named presdntn medium because I needed something between regular and bold. But I installed it, as a separate font.
After erasing it, everything works fine! Thank you very much. :D

I'm not really fit with this very fine program. How can I create a "medium" instance of this font, within the normal font file ? I found only bold, italic, regular ....!

And I found out, after validating, that there are shown some errors. How to go along with this.
Is there any help or post within this board?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A_Schwarz wrote:I'm not really fit with this very fine program. How can I create a "medium" instance of this font, within the normal font file ? I found only bold, italic, regular ....!
I found that typing the desired font Subfamily to match the font weight worked for me.
Font Subfamily.png
Font Subfamily.png (57.34 KiB) Viewed 6368 times
Check out my free Kabala font, which has eight different font styles.

For your other questions, just start a new thread in this FontCreator Support forum. I already explained above how to solve the validation error with intersecting co-ordinates.